Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 09-22-2013, 07:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62
Question Camp site 32

Hello friends,

Looking for a little info on Rhododendron creek and campsite 32. My son wants to go camping this coming weekend and I believe there is a broken down steam engine in the creek he want's to see as well as catch some trout.
Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Redfish62
Old 09-23-2013, 10:23 AM

Hey Redfish62 32 is nice not for fishing though. Injun creek is real small by the campsite. It is fishable lower down by the ranger station maybe. You could always hit the middle prong of the little pigeon on your way in or out as you will be right there at it. I have stayed at 32 a couple of times. The steam engine is on the Grapeyard ridge trail. There are 2 ways to get to 32 one is to hike the Grapeyard ridge trail the other is to take the Injun Creek manway up from the Greenbrier ranger station. The manway is well marked and starts right next to the ranger station. That way in is a bit shorter with more to see (old homesites spring house, etc) in my opinion. CS 32 is right at the end of the manway where the Grapeyard ridge trail starts. To get to the steam engine go left on the Grapeyard ridge trail and walk about quarter to half a mile where there is a wet crossing of Injun Creek. That is where the steam engine lies. Here is a blog I wrote where I did this trip a few years ago:
http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...anway-with-the

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-23-2013, 12:55 PM

Hey, I've been there!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62

Thanks for the info, Enjoyed your blog Crockett
Old 09-25-2013, 11:13 AM

You're welcome Redfish I think your son and you will enjoy seeing the steam engine. You can get an idea of the stream size of Injun Creek from my pics it is pretty small but I would bet there are some small rainbows down on the low end closer to the ranger station.

Matt you sure have! The grapeyard ridge trail to it has many small stream crossings like 12 or so. The Injun creek trail has only one or two wet crossings but they are a bit large to rock hop.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 10-01-2013, 06:22 PM

thanks for the post crockett. i had been looking to do a hike with my daughter but was having trouble getting motivated. she agreed the engine sounded much cooler than another waterfall. and she had never seen a back country campsite. she enjoyed the hike, except the part where she was having trouble keeping up with her 35 yr old smoker dad going uphill

shortly after arrival it was salamander and nymph hunting time. in that shallow water there were definitely more salamanders than nymphs.