Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-22-2013, 04:53 PM

Default Clinch- warm

Fished the Clinch this morning and kept noticing the water felt abnormally warm every time I landed a fish. Eventually took the temp and it was 62 degrees. Very strange for it to be this warm, if this was early November I'd just chalk it up to lake turnover but its way early for that.

Just thought it was odd, fish were fine and feisty but the water is much warmer than it should be for this time of year
Old 09-22-2013, 05:27 PM

I was also fishing today and didn't think a thing about it until I read your post. I got there early and was worried I would be cold based on the outside temp this morning but what surprised at the water temp and how good it felt. Glad you had a good day, I landed a few but based on me and the people around me I didn't see a whole lot of action.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:31 PM

What were you using?
Old 09-24-2013, 12:08 PM

I fished midge pupae for the first couple of hours. Then switched to a pheasant tail.

It wasn't the best day ever, but it was pretty good overall. A lot of the rainbows were really dark in coloration in almost spawning type colors, which was somewhat odd as well
Old 10-01-2013, 12:29 PM

Possibly lake turnover?
Old 10-01-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBB View Post
Possibly lake turnover?

Way too early for that, and from being on the upper end of the lake at the same general time, days before/days after, the lake has not turned over. It takes surface temps reaching the 50's for the lake to even think about turning over, which won't happen until early November usually.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:17 AM

Jim,
It may have been all the rain the day before you fished that warmed up the upper layer of the river....?

I have been getting an average of 58 Deg. from Massengill upwards on the top layer of water. From PO downward it seems to stay around 60 Deg.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 10-03-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Jim,
It may have been all the rain the day before you fished that warmed up the upper layer of the river....?

I have been getting an average of 58 Deg. from Massengill upwards on the top layer of water. From PO downward it seems to stay around 60 Deg.

And both of those are really high for this time of year, we should be seeing water temps in the low 50's all the way down towards Clinton.

It may be that with all of the rain this summer that the lake is full of warmer water and that the thermocline was reduced.

Like I said, the fish were fine, and no worries about them, I just found it odd.