Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2013, 09:36 PM

Talking Civil Disobedience Fish?

Well this week has been an interesting one in the Smokies

I was looking at quotes on Civil Disobedience on the internet and here are a couple I wish to share.

An individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law Martin Luther King

if we dont rebel, if were not physically in an active rebellion, then its spiritual death. Chris Hedges

This week has been a test for the frequent Smokies fisherman. Who to listen to?, what's exact activities are not suggested, and what is illegal to do? Mixed messages and mixed answers everywhere

Well last night I heard the best info yet from someone on the ground on GoSmokies who asked the ranger at gate what he would do if he hiked up past him up the hill. The ranger said he would watch him walk up the hill. But as long as you didn't move barricades or enter with a vehicle (bike considered a vehicle) you were free to do what you wanted. He even offered to get the head ranger on the radio or something like that. That was pretty good news as I was considering a trip regardless, although being a Smokies regular knew where to enter where are unlikely to have a problem.

Was able to round up Adam (Crockett) as well as Nathan for the trip. It was Adam's first time here and I think he was a little nervous although I knew he would be fine and had the skill set to be there. After meeting Adam off the interstate, he drove us through the tourist **** (PF) and over the mountain. We were pleased to see the bypass open and head to the Park

Things did look a bit different

Rebels everywhere using the pull off not barricaded. While the park does own many a barricade, they don't have enough to close off every spot

We were all confused to see the Park Service removing barricades from Newfound Gap. It was packed on the way back

Over the mountain we went. Should had hit the breakfast joint 30 minutes earlier. Longest wait ever, but was good to fill up for a big day. We finished and drove to my buddies house. I asked him if he had seen any Park Rangers but he just looked at me real funny. I don't think they come up his way very often.

This next picture is for Mac. I know he will appreciate the look on Adam's face. I know it's 400 vertical feet in 300 yards but that's the crazy guys house and I'm not stopping!

And no that's not a fallen tree, It's a vine!

Time to drop in

Almost there

And we made it!

And the close up for you old folks who can't read the small print

But honestly this was the reason we were here.

Will continue