Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-05-2013, 09:36 PM

Talking Civil Disobedience Fish?

Well this week has been an interesting one in the Smokies

I was looking at quotes on Civil Disobedience on the internet and here are a couple I wish to share.

“An individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law” Martin Luther King

“if we don’t rebel, if we’re not physically in an active rebellion, then it’s spiritual death.” Chris Hedges

This week has been a test for the frequent Smokies fisherman. Who to listen to?, what's exact activities are not suggested, and what is illegal to do? Mixed messages and mixed answers everywhere

Well last night I heard the best info yet from someone on the ground on GoSmokies who asked the ranger at gate what he would do if he hiked up past him up the hill. The ranger said he would watch him walk up the hill. But as long as you didn't move barricades or enter with a vehicle (bike considered a vehicle) you were free to do what you wanted. He even offered to get the head ranger on the radio or something like that. That was pretty good news as I was considering a trip regardless, although being a Smokies regular knew where to enter where are unlikely to have a problem.

Was able to round up Adam (Crockett) as well as Nathan for the trip. It was Adam's first time here and I think he was a little nervous although I knew he would be fine and had the skill set to be there. After meeting Adam off the interstate, he drove us through the tourist **** (PF) and over the mountain. We were pleased to see the bypass open and head to the Park

Things did look a bit different

Rebels everywhere using the pull off not barricaded. While the park does own many a barricade, they don't have enough to close off every spot

We were all confused to see the Park Service removing barricades from Newfound Gap. It was packed on the way back

Over the mountain we went. Should had hit the breakfast joint 30 minutes earlier. Longest wait ever, but was good to fill up for a big day. We finished and drove to my buddies house. I asked him if he had seen any Park Rangers but he just looked at me real funny. I don't think they come up his way very often.

This next picture is for Mac. I know he will appreciate the look on Adam's face. I know it's 400 vertical feet in 300 yards but that's the crazy guys house and I'm not stopping!

And no that's not a fallen tree, It's a vine!

Time to drop in

Almost there

And we made it!

And the close up for you old folks who can't read the small print

But honestly this was the reason we were here.

Will continue
Old 10-05-2013, 09:53 PM

Talking

It always nice sharing this place with someone for the first time

Adam sneaking up

Mortal Combat

And please forgive me for calling this granite in a previous post. I got busted by the Granite Police(apparently New Hampshire is full of them), and part of my penalty is to explain that you are looking at Biotite augen gneiss as well as some metasandstone.

Nathan's 4 fish hole (on both trips)

And one of my better rainbows

More of that granite (shock bracelet goes off) I mean Biotite augen gneiss

Nathan thought he heard a Park Service helicopter above and signaled them for landing.

Adam caught the best Brookie of the day

Here Nathan fishes an awesome pool that is too big for one picture

Old 10-05-2013, 10:06 PM

Talking

Above is Nathan pointing out the half dozen large fish at the bottom of the pool that won't come up to even give a fly a close inspection.

Lots of climbing

A beautiful scene with Nathan's Razorback in the backround

And the intended species

We thought we saw the grade above and thought it would be easier to use it to get around razorback. Unfortunately what looked like the grade from below turned out to not be the grade which was higher up the hill.

You know you are close to the grade when old parts start showing up. I'm guessing this was for some hose on a train?

We reached the grade soon enough, and debated whether to drop back in just to drop back up again in a little more than a 1/10 of a mile. We opted for the easy road and headed back to the car. On the hike out we reached what was probably a turn around for the train and found some old coal

When we got back to Adam's truck, Nathan pulled a spider off him

I hope this isn't the rehab the Trails Forever crew is working on

Until next time
Old 10-05-2013, 11:03 PM

Nice fish, but it sure looks like you dry-handed a few.

?
Old 10-05-2013, 11:55 PM

Nice trip. I'm glad you guys went anyway. I know several other people that said they were fishing in the park this weekend. I love rebellion!
Old 10-06-2013, 12:53 AM

Thanks for the post, and keep fighting the good fight for the rest of us.
Tad
Old 10-06-2013, 07:42 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFlyFisher View Post
Nice fish, but it sure looks like you dry-handed a few.

?
Don't worry, they were eaten
Old 10-06-2013, 08:27 AM

Great photos, thanks. That looks like a mite (not spider).

Old 10-06-2013, 07:32 PM

DP,

I appreciate your stance on this and the fine post!!!

Breck
Old 10-06-2013, 07:58 PM

Yeah I was feeling it on that one where we had to run up past the crazy people shooting at us. Duckypaddler will take you fishing in the strangest places. I had a great time hanging out with Nathan and James they are awesome Smokies fishermen and sure don't shy away from adventure. As we were driving by a bunch of folks at a pull off who were taking pics on 441 James yelled out the window "Happy Civil Disobedience weekend!" and they all gave thumbs up back at us.

Dropping off the mountainside:

Getting ready to fish:

Nathan casting:

Deep hole:

Some crazy waist deep rapids above a death falls that we crossed:

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...