Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-08-2013, 11:02 AM

UPDATE: Below is a post from an Utah TV station yesterday regarding the Grand Canyon in Arizona and parks in Utah, I am trying to keep politics out of these updates, but you can now see the individual states are starting to reach their limits when it comes to the federal government and local tourist impact dollars in their respective areas. My dog in the fight is a 2wt begging for a Smokies stream, that I don't have to walk 20 klicks ( a klick is aprox. .62 miles for those always wondering what that means) to get to!

AZ residents, business leaders to protest shutdown at Grand Canyon

Posted: Oct 07, 2013 8:16 PM EDT Updated: Oct 08, 2013 9:35 AM EDT Posted by Steve Stout -

ST. GEORGE, UT (CBS5/AP) - Arizona residents and business leaders will protest the shutdown of the U.S. government today at the gates of the Grand Canyon.
MOREAdditional Links

Federal officials have turned down offers of local financial assistance to keep the park running.
Meanwhile, county governments across southern Utah are moving to condemn the shutdown of national parks by declaring an official emergency.
The Spectrum of St. George reports that lawmakers in Washington, Iron, Kane, Grand and Paiute counties are filing separate resolutions declaring a state of emergency.
Iron County Commissioner Dave Miller calls the shutdown of national parks a political stunt and abuse of power by federal officials.
He raises the possibility that Utah or Arizona could take over the national parks. Miller says they're being mismanaged.
The parks closed a week ago when a lingering budget dispute in Congress defunded much of the federal government.
Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 10-08-2013, 03:48 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
My dog in the fight is a 2wt begging for a Smokies stream, that I don't have to walk 20 klicks ( a klick is aprox. .62 miles for those always wondering what that means) to get to!
I'd happily walk 100 klicks to fish my Smokies

If you can't do the 20 klicks, you might want to give up the cigars

You not a Spring chicken but you're not old either, and if you need to you can always take your lawn chair for breaks

And it's only 2 klicks to prime Brown habitat on LR if you hike into Metcalf

Think our trip this weekend was only 4 klicks
Old 10-08-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
I'd happily walk 100 klicks to fish my Smokies

If you can't do the 20 klicks, you might want to give up the cigars

You not a Spring chicken but you're not old either, and if you need to you can always take your lawn chair for breaks

And it's only 2 klicks to prime Brown habitat on LR if you hike into Metcalf

Think our trip this weekend was only 4 klicks

At long last a retort from our Captain Jack Sparrow of the Smokys and his gang of rogue misfits! Sir, I will keep my cigar, lawn chair and Maker's Mark and leave the rappelling of rock and boulder to capture the elusive brook you so relish to you and your troop of malcontents. I am built for comfort not speed and would like to spend my remaining years with all 10 toes and limbs. We however, do enjoy your adventures and antics of near drownings, broken rods, and old mountain men who's land you trapse across and find great comfort in the knowledge of yes I am crazy but you should see this guy! Be safe, stay dry, I'll wait for the gates to reopen and drive to my Shangri-La's!

Last edited by bigsur; 10-08-2013 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: tennessee hillbilly spellin
Old 10-08-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
At long last a retort from our Captain Jack Sparrow of the Smokys and his gang of rogue misfits! Sir, I will keep my cigar, lawn chair and Maker's Mark and leave the rappelling of rock and boulder to capture the elusive brook you so relish to you and your troop of malcontents. I am built for comfort not speed and would like to spend my remaining years with all 10 toes and limbs. We however, do enjoy your adventures and antics of near drownings, broken rods, and old mountain men who's land you trapse across and find great comfort in the knowledge of yes I am crazy but you should see this guy! Be safe, stay dry, I'll wait for the gates to reopen and drive to my Shangri-La's!
Excellent!
Old 10-10-2013, 11:22 AM

http://i42.tinypic.com/2vumss8.jpg
Old 10-10-2013, 11:39 AM

UPDATE: see CNN bereaking news: Hold your breath, GOP has announced willing to sit down and possibly raise temporary debt ceiling. Stock market surges. Let's hope parks reopen soon!

Last edited by bigsur; 10-10-2013 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: arrogance
Old 10-10-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Not sure if that's a good plan, with all the gear we wear won't that be like chasing fatboys at a doughnut shop break in? On a serious note if you see the links in my first post I think your answer is there, I would follow the news stories close as your time approaches and maybe adjust to some tailwaters near here if still a shutdown. Oh wait a minute that would crowd my tailwaters, never mind the Clinch is full of riptides, water moccasions and game wardens, you should probably just stay home and watch Dancing with the Stars reruns on Tivo.
Fat boys in a donut shop You referring to another cowoorker, Bigsur?
Old 10-16-2013, 01:17 AM

UPDATE: SEE LINK FROM MARYVILLE TIMES newspaper Wednesday post midnight 10/16/2013

Looks like it's a go to reopen park, verify with park before traveling this is a constantly moving and changing scenario

http://www.thedailytimes.com/Local_N...ning-id-041970.

Also below is link to Department of Interior related announcement:

http://www.doi.gov/news/pressrelease...ional-park.cfm

Old 10-16-2013, 10:33 AM

UPDATE: PARK OPENING PICTURES SEE LINK BELOW KNOXVILLE PAPER THIS MORNING 10/16/2014

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/oc...-townsend-wye/