Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-08-2013, 11:41 AM

Default here's one for you

our country is broke,the government is in the shutting down mode,politicians argue over dollars they don't have,what will they do?
Ouside,in the parking lot next to my drug store,,is a line of folks about a hundred feet long,some are texting,some talking and laughing...they are here to pick up their new,free cell phone compliments of the feds...you can get one too,all you have to have is a book full of food stamps....then you qualify!!!
That's where we are as a country,how do you like it...they shut down the parks,which is a slap in the face to working people because it's the working people who frequent the national parks not the others....but it is the others who in reality are "the people" because of their numbers,which translates into lots of votes
Old 10-08-2013, 11:50 AM

We are spending over a billion dollars a year on this program.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:17 PM

"When you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can count on Paul's vote"

There is a pipeline from both my paycheck and what remains in my wallet to support such programs, the politicians who promise to implement them, and its recipients.

Lauxier, food stamps are now on "debit cards" so that recipients won't be embarrassed when "paying" for their groceries. I found some old food stamps in a drawer when I was a young child. When I asked about them my Mom told me something to the effect they were from a grocery store promotion and but we didn't need to use them, then threw them away. She stopped using them as soon as she was able to as evident by the stamps that were left in that drawer. As an adult I realize how embarrassed she was that I had found them.

A record 15% of the American population is now on food stamps; I like to believe some of them are still embarrassed and trying to change that.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:52 PM

Default ?

Thought this was a fishing forum. What's this doing here?
Old 10-09-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Johnson View Post
Thought this was a fishing forum. What's this doing here?
AMEN. Get that crap out (no politics, either side).
Old 10-09-2013, 06:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

yes, lets do on the forum as we do everywhere else. Not discuss it and wonder why it gets worse...
Old 10-10-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
yes, lets do on the forum as we do everywhere else. Not discuss it and wonder why it gets worse...
Double AMEN!

This issue is directly affecting our fishing. Football commentary inevitably manages to bring in the surface of the field. Track events discuss the rubber compound on the surface run apon. We can discuss why the $#^& the land that the people own and the water we fish is inaccessible due to a 13% reduction in Federal spending; just as we discuss why the park's overlord has managed to implement a backpacker tax. I can't comprehend why our government cutting off access to our waters with great malfeasance is inappropriate to discuss; whereas discussing the tyrannical superintendent overseeing the park is not.

Both can be viewed political; but both issues can also be discussed without taking partisan 'sides'. I commented on the issues facing our great nation due to the mismanagement of the government as a whole. Additionally, the tragedy of the commons is evident in the shifting of values in just the last 40 years. Overspending and increasing the deficit have continued regardless of which side owns the legislative or executive branch.

Our elected officials (both 'sides') are currently remotely playing chicken with cars that we the people are riding in. There is not a side when the country is suffering at the expense of a parliament of whores (both sides) and an executive instructing to, "make things as painful as possible" in order to win.

How did we get here, and what can the people do to change it?

"It is our pride that in our country men are free to differ with each other and with their Government and to follow their own thoughts and express them. We believe that the only whole man is a free man. We believe that, in the' face of danger, the old spirit of the frontiersmen that is in our blood will give us the courage and unity that we must have. We need that spirit in this hour. We need a conviction, felt deep in us all, that there are no divisions among us. We are all members of the same body. We are all Americans.

The winds that blow through the wide sky in these mountains, the winds that sweep from Canada to Mexico, from the Pacific to the Atlantic—have always blown on free men. We are free today. If we join together now— men and women and children -to face the common menace as a united people, we shall be free tomorrow.

So, to the free people of America, I dedicate this Park."
-Excerpt from Address at Dedication of Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Last edited by mattblick; 10-10-2013 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: formatting
Old 10-10-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
Double AMEN!

This issue is directly affecting our fishing. Football commentary inevitably manages to bring in the surface of the field. Track events discuss the rubber compound on the surface run apon. We can discuss why the $#^& the land that the people own and the water we fish is inaccessible due to a 13% reduction in Federal spending; just as we discuss why the park's overlord has managed to implement a backpacker tax. I can't comprehend why our government cutting off access to our waters with great malfeasance is inappropriate to discuss; whereas discussing the tyrannical superintendent overseeing the park is not.

Both can be viewed political; but both issues can also be discussed without taking partisan 'sides'. I commented on the issues facing our great nation due to the mismanagement of the government as a whole. Additionally, the tragedy of the commons is evident in the shifting of values in just the last 40 years. Overspending and increasing the deficit have continued regardless of which side owns the legislative or executive branch.

Our elected officials (both 'sides') are currently remotely playing chicken with cars that we the people are riding in. There is not a side when the country is suffering at the expense of a parliament of whores (both sides) and an executive instructing to, "make things as painful as possible" in order to win.

How did we get here, and what can the people do to change it?

"It is our pride that in our country men are free to differ with each other and with their Government and to follow their own thoughts and express them. We believe that the only whole man is a free man. We believe that, in the' face of danger, the old spirit of the frontiersmen that is in our blood will give us the courage and unity that we must have. We need that spirit in this hour. We need a conviction, felt deep in us all, that there are no divisions among us. We are all members of the same body. We are all Americans.

The winds that blow through the wide sky in these mountains, the winds that sweep from Canada to Mexico, from the Pacific to the Atlantic—have always blown on free men. We are free today. If we join together now— men and women and children -to face the common menace as a united people, we shall be free tomorrow.

So, to the free people of America, I dedicate this Park."
-Excerpt from Address at Dedication of Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Later guys..... I don't come here to get P.O.ed about politics. I come here to relax; read and learn about fishing and the outdoors. If there is an issue that I feel is directly related to the Park, I'm concerned, but not about politics in general.

You all have a good fall. I'll check back in a couple months.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
Later guys..... I don't come here to get P.O.ed about politics. I come here to relax; read and learn about fishing and the outdoors. If there is an issue that I feel is directly related to the Park, I'm concerned, but not about politics in general.

You all have a good fall. I'll check back in a couple months.
Love your posts Buzz, looking forward to your return.

I can't reserve a campsite for my trip down next month. I'm very worried a trip that I have been looking forward to and planning for months is going to be ruined by Washington politicians. This does directly affect the park for me.

Perhaps locals, like you are able to access / are allowed in at the gates by disgusted rangers. I understand why you feel it does not directly affect the park. If you get turned away you've lost 30 minutes at worst.

If this is not resolved soon, I won't be driving down from Ohio for a chance I might be allowed in; neither will the 7 family members who are driving and flying in from around the country to join me. None of us will be visiting Byron and Paula's fine store, or any of the restaurants in Townsend that struggle to stay in business as it is. October "leaf watchers" will not bring big dollars to the area for a few weeks in October which allow businesses to stay in the black. Perhaps when your favorite spot to eat before or after fishing ends up being the next Back Porch Restaurant you will understand the impact.

Respectfully,
- Matt -

Last edited by mattblick; 10-10-2013 at 03:15 PM..
Old 10-10-2013, 02:56 PM

Let's not forget that the hosts of this forum are Byron and his beautiful bride Paula. This mess has to be impacting the business of Little River Outfitters in a negative way. Let's be respectful and do what we can (call / write our representatives). In a more real way, as my fishing season winds down, I'm looking at the stuff I lost, broke or used up over the summer. I usually place my order in the spring. I think I may move it up this year.

As for coming to the Smoky's for the fall, not this year, too much question of if the park will be open, if one can get in, etc. That doesn't mean I've forgotten LRO though.

Jeff