Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-19-2013, 07:54 PM

Default Hericium erinaceus

If I'm going to be a proper fly fisherman, I need to start spewing Latin with the best of them.

I'd set my alarm for 5:30 with the intent of being on the Grinch at first light and fishing till they kick the generators on. Well, I had some of the worst dreams last night. I dreamt that my heart gave out and I had an emergency heart transplant and the doctor never explained to me whether I had a permanent heart or just a temporary heart (look, you can't help what you dream, and I sometimes dream some crazy junk). I remember waking up several times during the night in pain. They went in through my ribs to switch hearts and it hurt. It was also an outpatient heart transplant, so I should have been able to figure out it was just a dream.

Well, at 5:30, I got up and fed the critters then promptly went back to sleep. When I finally got up and functioning, I decided I was going to head south to fish.

I was eager to get on the river, but had to be careful about being too eager.

Surprisingly, I didn't have to deal with much traffic. I figured the leaf peepers would be out in full force, but I was wrong. It was a cluster (thing) around the falls, but there was relatively little traffic on the roads.

Just about all of the fisherman pull-offs were empty.

The river looked awesome.

And, the fish were awesomer.

Last edited by buzzmcmanus; 10-19-2013 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: spelling of a 1st grader
Old 10-19-2013, 08:04 PM

Default More......

The river just kept looking better.

And, the fish started taking dries.

Then, it happened all at once. I looked up, and it was like the gates of heaven opened up. A Bearded Tooth. Delayed Harvest!?! Delayed harvest my rear. I'm in full harvest mode with this.

Hericium erinaceus (also called Lion's Mane Mushroom, Bearded Tooth Mushroom, Hedgehog Mushroom, Satyr's Beard, Bearded Hedgehog Mushroom, pom pom mushroom, or Bearded Tooth Fungus) is an edible mushroom and medicinal mushroom in the tooth fungus group. Native to North America, Europe and Asia[1] it can be identified by its tendency to grow all the spines out from one group (rather than branches), long spines (greater than 1 cm length) and its appearance on hardwoods. Hericium erinaceus can be mistaken for other species of Hericium, all popular edibles, which grow across the same range. In the wild, these mushrooms are common during late summer and fall on hardwoods, particularly American Beech.

Hericium erinaceus is a choice edible when young, and the texture of the cooked mushroom is often compared to seafood. It often appears in Chinese vegetarian cuisine to replace pork or lamb.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:18 PM

Default Even more......

I could swear the leaves were changing colors as I fished.

I only took 1 fly box with me today. People wonder why I like to elk hunt as much as I do. Well, there's half an elk in just that fly box. Saves me money.

And, all fish were caught on the usual suspects.

Even this guy. He put up the biggest fight of the day, but was the most "stocker" looking fish I caught all day. His front fins are worn to the nubs from the concrete run.

Biggest fish of the day. He hit my fly just as I was lifting them out of the water. He then swam and took up a lie between my legs. I literally drifted my next cast between my legs and he took the dropper. This was a first or me.

BHPT right in the upper lip.

Lucky hat helped me get through the day.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:26 PM

Default Bearded Tooth

Some of you are probably asking "you didn't really eat that thing, did you?"

Nah, I didn't take it home and slice it in quarter inch slices.

I surely didn't salt it, then roll it in corn meal.

There's definitely no chance that I fried it in oil. Oil that is hotter than when you fry fish because they have a lot of water in them and in order to get a good crust it has be hot.

I hope you enjoyed the post. That's all the Latin you're going to get out of me for quite a while.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:59 PM

I did enjoy the post. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the report Buzz, glad you were able to get out today. Nice pics too, as usual!

You guys and your mushrooms, I have a lot to learn from you guys. I love eating exotic mushrooms when I eat out, but the only ones we ever picked were morels.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 10-19-2013, 09:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

in the right side of that fly box you have some flies with a foam shell...care to share what those are?
Old 10-19-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
in the right side of that fly box you have some flies with a foam shell...care to share what those are?
The mini-hoppers? I poached the recipe from Arizona Wanderings.

http://azwanderings.com/mini-hopper-tutorial/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkrnX4QXYrI

I really thought the yellow would kick-***, but it has never produced. Now, the orange has been exceptional with brook trout. It's turned into my go-to fly when I first step into a brookie stream.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:51 AM

Great Post!!!

I'm going fishing!!

Breck
Old 10-20-2013, 12:54 PM

While in wilderness BC on steelhead rivers I have found some of the cousins to your Hericium ...bears tooth. Probably the best best mushroom l have eaten. Have never seen the Bald River variety, but then l am not there in the fall. Nice find