Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 AM

Default Needing to borrow canoe

Well gang it seems I did the unthinkable in stupidity and stayed too long in the Hoston River last week; the turbines came on and we got caught mid-river by the quarry off the explosives road. My friend bruce got swept down river and it was reaally bad; fortunately God was looking over us and I made it to him as he was barely hanging onto a rock. We should not have survived this experience; it was really that bad. By the time I got to Bruce the water was more than waist deep and really powerful; we never panicked, remained deliberate and knew we had help beyond ourselves.

I may have suffered a heart attack during the ordeal; docs can't tell for certain but I had a really bad EKG the next morning.

When Bruce got tumbled down river my Orvis 6 weight with Lamson reel was swept away; we have looked for it but I think it is the deep pool water just down stream from where this all happened. Even if the rod is broken Orvis will give me a new one... I expect the line will be visable through the water.

Wondering if anyone would either let me borrow a canoe or go with me to fetch it out?

865-255-4840
Old 11-01-2013, 08:55 AM

Talking

I have a canoe you can borrow, but also have an inflatable kayak that would be much better for the job. I live in Farragut in West Knoxville.

Cherokee is not a dam to mess around with the 10-15k (Ocoee at whitewater release is 1200-1400) they usually generate Glad you guys are ok

Freddie once had a 20 inch Rainbow hooked and 15 minutes later the water rose. I just netted the beast as the water was coming up. I was shocked at how fast the water rose there and I am more educated than most about swift water and knew it was coming

I hope you can find it, but with that much water there is no telling how far it has gone. If you get a canoe and find the rod but see it's too deep to get to, I will even offer to put on the drysuit and go swimming for you. Seems like the cold water could be bad for one's heart also so please don't kill yourself trying to get it.

jtlocke@tds.net
Old 11-01-2013, 01:55 PM

Default diving for fly rods

last fall I dove (in a wet suit) in the dix river tailwater to get my friends Orvis rod. Even on a warm November day (60s) it was ice cold. We couldn't see it from the surface. I think that is because I expected it to be laying flat on the bottom. In this case, it was pointed straight up in about 10 feet of water, making it very hard to see if you're looking down. Just my two cents from experience. Glad you are both OK and good luck finding it. My understanding is that if you can even retrieve part of the rod, they will replace it.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:06 AM

hard part is finding a day when no generation. I plan to take along a telescoping rod with a hook on the end to fetch it up. There is a large pool area downstream too deep to wade; we were on the grainger side and there is a big curve down below so I'm hoping the current would have dumped it before too far. I am actually surprised we didn't find it already.

Shawn has found many rods on the clinch and they are usually easy to see if you get right on top of them.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexfly View Post
last fall I dove (in a wet suit) in the dix river tailwater to get my friends Orvis rod. Even on a warm November day (60s) it was ice cold. We couldn't see it from the surface. I think that is because I expected it to be laying flat on the bottom. In this case, it was pointed straight up in about 10 feet of water, making it very hard to see if you're looking down. Just my two cents from experience. Glad you are both OK and good luck finding it. My understanding is that if you can even retrieve part of the rod, they will replace it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
hard part is finding a day when no generation. I plan to take along a telescoping rod with a hook on the end to fetch it up. There is a large pool area downstream too deep to wade; we were on the grainger side and there is a big curve down below so I'm hoping the current would have dumped it before too far. I am actually surprised we didn't find it already.

Shawn has found many rods on the clinch and they are usually easy to see if you get right on top of them.
Corbo,
Actually, I have found many sticking straight up as Lexfly commented. They are not easy to spot; but, I think they just stand out to me since I usually scan every aspect of the river when I am on it...looking at bugs, rocks, etc. I would expect your rod has been found by someone with a boat. Maybe someone will see your post and get it back to you....(?) I hope that is the case. If not; you are welcome to any of my rods/reels if you need me to mail you one.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 11-02-2013, 07:11 PM

Corbo,

you are more than welcome to borrow my drift boat. I can bring it to my work in Lenoir City Monday or to you, if need be.

Breck
Old 11-14-2013, 04:12 PM

Dang. Haven't been feeling the forum thing lately so I'm late to this party. I was hoping to seeahappy ending to this thread... but i am equally as stoked it didn't have a tragic ending either. My canoe is available if you haven't made it back out yet.

Email Punk

http://lastdrifteffort.blogspot.com
Old 11-15-2013, 05:19 PM

Unhappy may be able to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post

Corbo;108852} I'm very familiar with the area you had your bad luck. Thank the one up above your able to even tell your story! I live with-in a 20 min ride to where you lost your rod. Just lost a I-phone in the GSMNP Sunday, so I understand to well the feeling it gives you. We have 2 canoe's as well as wet suits, and a couple of kayaks which obviously would cover more area. I left a message on your answering machine earlier, and would be more than happy to try to help you find your equipment. Obviously finding a time Cherokee isn't running wide open right now is very difficult, but feel free to contact me, and we can give it a shot. Holston is a narrow river, and when 1400 is the regular release won't make things easy. I'm assuming since you said Grainger co you were at Nance's on up towards the **** itself. Try to keep in mind you can always buy more stuff. I'm sure everyone feel's your pain as I've seen plenty offers to help you. Please feel free to contact me and we will give it a shot! Your life is more important than any kind of rod! God bless and good luck. http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...cons/icon9.gif