Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 10-30-2013, 03:25 PM

Default Jim E Midge

Madison Boats wrote about this fly a short time ago. Always being interested in new midge patterns I tied a couple up. I think it is always nice to know what others think when you give out a fly pattern. I have only got to fish them on my home waters which is a private section of a spring creek. This all being club waters. I have to say the fly did not work as good as I thought it would considering the fish feed mainly on midges. BUT.... today makes twice I have been out and could not get the fish to look at anything so I tied on a size 18 or 20 Jim E midge. In the first couple of casts I hooked and landed a 22 inch rainbow which probably went about 3.5 lbs. I was out the other day in the same section and once again nothing so I tried the Jim E midge. About the second cast I hooked a rainbow which I think would have went about 24 inches and close to 4 lbs. He jumped five times and the last jump was very close when I was trying to bring him to net and the fly pulled out. I'll be tying up a few more Jim E midges for my fly box.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trico View Post
Madison Boats wrote about this fly a short time ago. Always being interested in new midge patterns I tied a couple up. I think it is always nice to know what others think when you give out a fly pattern. I have only got to fish them on my home waters which is a private section of a spring creek. This all being club waters. I have to say the fly did not work as good as I thought it would considering the fish feed mainly on midges. BUT.... today makes twice I have been out and could not get the fish to look at anything so I tied on a size 18 or 20 Jim E midge. In the first couple of casts I hooked and landed a 22 inch rainbow which probably went about 3.5 lbs. I was out the other day in the same section and once again nothing so I tried the Jim E midge. About the second cast I hooked a rainbow which I think would have went about 24 inches and close to 4 lbs. He jumped five times and the last jump was very close when I was trying to bring him to net and the fly pulled out. I'll be tying up a few more Jim E midges for my fly box.

Trico,
It is a spectacular midge pattern and one that I put my father's name on. Trust me, it will treat you well most of the time. There are a few days when it is off. However; I believe that is related to conditional influences.

• I have found that it is best to keep the gills sparse and be careful about putting in too much material.
  • Also, do not bulk up the thread behind the bead at the beginning to allow for the neer hair and whip finish later. This will keep the midge proportionate and allow you to hide the thread behind the bead when you whip finish.

Note; the smoke gray [neer hair] is one of the best materials for gills. I tie in a small piece and use a brown permanent marker to flick the ends of the cut fibers to give it a variegated look. Also, it works well to mix various pieces of neer hair to create gills.
*(pictured below, fourth-strand from the right-side)

Thanks for the feedback. Those are some nice fish sizes!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 11-04-2013, 04:43 PM

Midge pattern will catch surprisingly large fish, especially on pressured waters.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:50 PM

I agree with you 100 percent flyman. I am amazed how many of the people where I fish simply will not try any of the small stuff.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:46 AM

The Jim E Midge has a versatile look. I think the black bead, green body, and grey gills looks very similar to a black fly larva as well. Black fly larva is supposed to comprise 60% of the trout's diet on the Clinch River.

I fished the Jim E Midge this past weekend with;
  • a #18 top midge that was a brighter pattern for an attractor,
  • then, I tied a #20 Jim E Midge olive pattern on a 16" drop.
It worked very well. Because of overcast skies; my intention was to get the bright pattern to stand out to the fish and draw their attention. Then; the more recognizable and consistent olive pattern would present to them. Note pattern worked on lateral and downward drifts.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:36 AM

I can't seem to find that original article. I love fishing midges and would love to read the original article. The link I found must have been for an older edition of Southern Trout. How can I find it?

--Matt
Old 02-25-2014, 09:10 PM

Southern Trout, June July issue page 32.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
I can't seem to find that original article. I love fishing midges and would love to read the original article. The link I found must have been for an older edition of Southern Trout. How can I find it?

--Matt
Matt,
Here is the link to the article.
http://www.southerntrout.com/mag/arc..._2013/#/32-33/

Also; I added some better pictures to my FB Page:

Glad you are interested in the pattern. Let me know if you have any questions. It is a fabulous pattern for the Clinch River!

Thanks Silvercreek for trying to help out!

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 02-26-2014 at 10:34 AM..