Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-03-2013, 10:22 AM

Talking Fall Fishing with Freddie

With the touch of rain we got Thursday night, Freddie and I decided to go chase a few Brookies and see how the spawn was going

Top secret location Luckily the trolls let us pass

Sure was pretty everywhere you looked

Low water for sure.

Ran into a fella fishing with his wife and baby. It's always nice to see families out in nature. In his hurry to pack everything for the baby he forgot his floatant. I gave him a dab of gink and headed up the trail, realizing 10 minutes later I had an extra bottle of frogs fanny I should have gave to him.

We tested the water a bit lower down than I usually like and got my first catch

Freddie had one a minute later

Guess it was worth some more hiking

The water had quite a bit of debris that added to the challenge of getting good drift

Luckily I still snagged this guy

Low and clear. Stealth mode

Old 11-03-2013, 10:32 AM

Talking

Nothing big but at least I was catching

Freddie just got a new Smartphone. Unfortunately for him, it's smarter than he is

Purdy little fellar that was caught on some fly Daniel knew he could sell me by just saying someone likes this better than a neversink

The pink weenie wasn't letting me down either

This has to be one of the palest Brookies I have ever caught. Guess he was afraid to spawn

While leapfrogging Freddie I ran across what I initially though was just another bed frame. If you notice the shape of frame is more shaped like a pop up trailer. I'm thinking that maybe it was one of the rail cars that the loggers lived in.

Fish started getting a little bigger

Old 11-03-2013, 10:48 AM

Talking

Then I lost the best fish I have seen in months. We hiked upstream and I saw a place to jump in. Freddie said he would jump in a hundred yards or so upstream. I crawled down to the river and was above a large rock that had a perfect eddy below. I cast downstream into the hole and after second cast hooked up with an awesome brookie. I had to pull him straight up 4-5 feet to get out of the water and that was just enough time for his escape. He had a huge hook jaw and was adorned in the prettiest spawning colors. I screamed in excitement so loud Freddie even hiked back down to see what the commotion was about. The one that got away.

Freddie on the other hand landed an awesome Brookie in full spawning attire. Best fish of the day (at least that was landed)

Nice day to be out though

Freddie demonstrating his excellent bow and arrow cast. Something about the left hand that makes it even more accurate

My biggest landed fish of day. No trophy but no complaints either

More of that good form

And plenty of misses

Nice fall scenery. Check out the new broken boulder on the right side. The missing piece is lying center of pic. I'm pretty sure this is somewhat recent. From the look it looks like a percussion break like mother nature was playing the role of flint knapper with some really big trees.

We hiked back out and made it home early. Can't ever get enough of my Smokies fix
Old 11-03-2013, 11:01 AM

Two great trips man. Makes me want to make the 6 hour drive just for an afternoon!
Old 11-03-2013, 06:55 PM

Default reply

great pics-great trip
Old 11-04-2013, 02:47 AM

I was wondering how it was fishing up there. I've been wanting to make the fall run up there but I've been distracted by the larger roadside action. The brookies are looking nice and colorful. As for the pail looking one. I caught one earlier this summer out of the same stream that was almost silver.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:56 AM

This interloper is on to you; finally, I know where pictures in a report were taken! Been a while since I was last there, when did they remove the tree and repair the cables?

Those fish have me stirring with excitement because I'm heading down tomorrow morning and might detour through the park instead of staying on 40 to the NC side. Thursday I'll starting at about 6000' and working my way down to the lake over a few days. I've been praying to the almighty fish gods to bestow a slam upon me.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:35 PM

A year or two ago, about the time the cleared the "highway"
Old 11-05-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattblick View Post

Those fish have me stirring with excitement because I'm heading down tomorrow morning and might detour through the park instead of staying on 40 to the NC side. Thursday I'll starting at about 6000' and working my way down to the lake over a few days. I've been praying to the almighty fish gods to bestow a slam upon me.
Didn't mean for this to get split into two posts... Idiot. I think you should have a good shot at that, especially if you are going where I think you are, I can think of a couple of stretches where you accomplish that in a 1/2 mile or less of fishing...
Old 11-05-2013, 02:56 PM

Most excellent reportage!