Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 11-09-2013, 10:00 PM

Default E Tn transplant to Nashville

I've enjoyed reading this board and learning from all of you, so I decided to join. I grew up in kingsport but didn't fly fish. Recently took it up and absolutely love it. Bought my first real fly rod at the Orvis store in PF a few weeks ago and plan to take it on business trips when trout water is close by. Hope to keep learning from all of you and really appreciate how generous everyone is with advice and encouragement.

John J.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:41 AM

Default Coincidence!

John, I lived over in east Tennessee for 5.5 years in Greeneville, and never fly fished. Didn't take up this sport until about 3 years ago after I moved to Nashville (we actually live in Nolensville, TN) I really wish I had fly fished when I lived over there in East TN but didn't. We keep our 5th wheel over in the smokies and try to get over to fish the park every couple of months and see the guys at LRO. There is always some tying material I "need". My wife says I have enough tying stuff to open my own store with!

Glad you are getting into this sport. I started fly tying and fly fishing about 3 years ago and in truth would have to say I enjoy the tying as much, or more than the fly fishing. We've taken trips all over the country and I tie the flies for our little group (steelhead a few times a year in northern Ohio, salmon fishing in Michigan for a week at a time, rainbows in West Virginia at an Orvis lodge on the Elk Springs River, the South Holston 3-4 times a year, the Caney Fork, etc.) It's been the most rewarding hobby (translated "addiction") I've found and at 53 years old, it's a hobby I believe I can take on into older age. Don't know how much help I could be to you but if I can assist in some way, reach out. Harry Crabtree
Old 11-10-2013, 10:00 AM

John, I'm in the Inglewood area. Why wait for business trips? You have the Harpeth River in your back yard that has excellent smallmouth and panfish. The first weekend of Dec. the twra stocks a lot of local water for winter fishing. It's not the mountains, but it helps keep the fly fishing in tune.
David
Old 11-10-2013, 11:21 AM

Welcome to the "Trout Tribe", your fellow tribe members are easy to spot, we are always soggy, and scraped up but griinning like loons when we are spoted in the wild. We smell of 3 days past gone peanut butter and jelly sandwhichs and out of date granola bars. You can always spot one in the store, when they reach for change they always have 3 inch pieces of tippet mixed in with coins and a copper john with no wire they are saving for some obscure reason. If you take a ride from one of your fellow members, always feel the seat cushion, you are liable to scream out in pain with a #14 pheasant tail in your bum, while they scream "I knnew I didn't lose it"!

On a serious note, I suggest finding your local Trout Unlimited chapter, they are filled with great people (and they will always remind you if you forget it), who share the passion and doing what we can to pass it on. LRO and the Orvis store here are the same way, and are all great folks to know.

Good Luck and most of all have fun, it's a sport not a job!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Last edited by bigsur; 11-10-2013 at 09:07 PM..
Old 11-13-2013, 09:38 PM

Welcome, John. I share a similar background having worked in Kingsport until my mid 50s. It was only a year or two before I started fly fishing. We then moved to Nashville where my wife is from. One of the places we lived was just off Nolensville Rd in an area locals refer to as "Brentioch." (heard that one, Harry?). We moved back to East TN after about seven years. My wife much preferred the mountains and I was able to get got part-time work in Kingsport.

If you haven't already done so, visit the folks at Cumberland Transit at 2807 West End Ave. About four years ago I got to meet Allen Doty, owner, and two really great gents in the FF section: Leo DeMonbreum and Ronnie Howard. If they are still working there, tell them the Map Guy said "Hi."

I only got to fly fish Caney Fork and had planned to do the Harpeth. Maybe I can fish it vicariously through you.

All the best,
JF
Old 11-15-2013, 11:44 PM

Default It's a small world after all!

Fred, yep I've heard that one and it's where Brentwood and Antioch meet! Like you, we much prefer the Smokies as well, but a man has to work, you know, and my job isn't in the mountains; it's in Nashville so I'm in Nashville for God-Willing, another 12 years until I retire. We've been casually looking around for some land over in the Townsend/Wears Valley area so one day we can have a little place over there next to the mountains I hope. It's a little dream I have with a cabin, nothing fancy. I'm trying to get over next weekend if I can find someone to teach my Sunday School class for me! You take care. Harry Crabtree
Old 11-20-2013, 12:01 AM

Harry we are close. I live in east b'wood off concord rd. I fish mill creek often since it is close and lately a good place to practice throwing the fly rod. Maybe paths will cross. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:06 AM

Thanks David. Where are good wading spots on harpeth?
Old 11-20-2013, 10:29 PM

On Hwy 100 south of the park, there is a turn off at a bridge on the Little Harpeth. There are parking spaces there and easy wading. I haven't fished there in the winter, but have done really well in the spring and early summer. Have done well in the park also. On the Harpeth, I've went with friends on private property. Cumberland Transit has a book on access points for canoeing the Harpeth. B.J. Young works part time at Jones Fly Co. in east Nashville, he fishes the Harpeth a lot. He would be a good contact to talk to about the Harpeth. I've been wanting to fish the Harpeth with B.J. myself.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:20 AM

BrentwoodVFL, man we are close so we will have to try to hook up (no pun intended) sometimes. I have never really considered fishing the Harpeth but maybe that was a mistake on my part. Harry