Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-16-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Hackle View Post
I've seen so many people feed the elk. It was just a matter of time before an incident would cost one it's life. Maybe some awareness will come from it.

Lynn
Yeah I really don't know why the rangers turn the other way when people drive in with a pickup bed full of hay. Seen it multiple times, yes with rangers out on the road too.

The elk in the incident above looked to be about the age and size of the young males that last year in an elk jam were all simultaneously feeding from a white truck with nc plates and then one walked over to my car and I thought he was going to stick his head in my drivers side window- probably wanted to know what food I had brought him.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
Yeah I really don't know why the rangers turn the other way when people drive in with a pickup bed full of hay. Seen it multiple times, yes with rangers out on the road too.

The elk in the incident above looked to be about the age and size of the young males that last year in an elk jam were all simultaneously feeding from a white truck with nc plates and then one walked over to my car and I thought he was going to stick his head in my drivers side window- probably wanted to know what food I had brought him.
I know the rangers are limited with the cuts made but I would think this would be a high priority with the park. They've spent so much money on the elk it would be a shame to see it go by the way of the red wolf project.
Lynn
Old 11-18-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Hackle View Post
I know the rangers are limited with the cuts made but I would think this would be a high priority with the park. They've spent so much money on the elk it would be a shame to see it go by the way of the red wolf project.
Lynn
Yeah I get what you are saying, but since I have seen rangers standing around or parked in their cars in the valley while people are feeding the elk. So this isn't an example of not enough resources. The rangers were already there, no wait, were already getting paid for sitting there, yet not doing anything about it.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:08 PM

Man....gotta respect the wildlife! Our elk herd in northern PA isn't as strong as Cataloochee, but we have flat landers coming up to the hills doing the same old tish. They do it with bears too. It's only a matter of time before an elk or a bear turns and mauls someone. Wild animals are wild animals. They should be treated as such. Ask Timothy Treadwell
Old 11-21-2013, 10:57 PM

There's not enough money in the world to wipe out stupidity. I knew it was coming. They allow too much access to the animals and the plan to contain them in a valley that small was doomed from the start. Another example of intervention where the animal looses because of our behavior.