Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-17-2013, 07:56 PM

I usually carry every fly I own, even if I'm going light, I still carry a small lumbar pack with three fly boxes in it, plus a couple in my vest, plus a small streamer box. I'm deathly afraid of NHTRF. (Not having the right fly) when I'm 3 miles from my car. Sometimes you might run into a spinner fall, or a flying ant attack, or nice fish slurping midges in a big quiet pool. You may catch 3 or 4 fish with generic patterns, but if you have something that matches what's happening on the water you may catch 10 or 12. That being said, 8 times out of 10 I will fish a yellow neversink with a BHPT or a green weenie, so you could carry 1 box with a dozen flies and be fine, but what's the fun in that? I already told my wife that I need to tie at least 50 patterns in 3 different sizes in light, medium, and dark!
Tad
Old 11-21-2013, 11:20 PM

In most freestone streams you can get by with just a few basic flies.

1. 5 or 6 mayfly imitations=BWO, Quill Gordons, March Browns, Hendricksons, Light Cahills, and Isonychia will about cover the common hatches. Maybe if you get lucky you will see a few Green Drakes.

2. 4 or 5 attractor patterns. Humpies, White and Royal Wulffs, Stimis, parachute Adams, San Juan worms, and a few neversink caddis.

3. A few black and golden stone fly nymph imitations

4. A green and tan caddis pupa, they are one or the other 99% of the time

5. couple of wet fly patterns like a PT, BWO, and some generic light and dark colored patterns.

6. Few general nymph patterns. Pts. Hare's Ear, and Fox Squirrel will go a long way in a couple different sizes. Maybe throw in a Tellico and a copper john or two.

7 Terrestrials, maybe the most important of all and maybe the most productive fish catchers of the bunch. Ants, Beetles. inch worms. grasshoppers, and bees or wasp.

You would do well to read Byron's or Daniel's fishing reports everyday. They give good advice on not only flies to use but some basic tactics you need to be successful. Pay attention to what people are using that are catching fish. Fish with good fishermen, pick their brains when you can, and observe them when you can. It really is true that 10% of the fishermen are catching 90% of the fish.

All these will fit in one large box or a couple small ones. If I can't catch em with that assortment, I'll be back at the truck drinking beer and eating fried chicken.

Last edited by flyman; 11-22-2013 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: Genetics have been cruel to me
Old 11-22-2013, 01:40 AM

Flyman, the reason you edited your post cracked me up!
Old 11-22-2013, 01:46 AM

It's true! I could have been an olympic gold medal winner, or a rocket scientist, but no, I got crappy genetics.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:12 AM

Default 2 flies

A few years ago, I was joking around with my buddy El Presidente' and told him I was going to spend an entire year fishing nothing but a size 14 EHC in sparkle orange and when I felt that I needed to fish a nymph, I would drop a size 16 BHPT from it. That joke ended up turning into reality and I fished that combination through all four seasons; on wild streams, Hiwassee, Caney and the Clinch. I caught the absolute snot out of fish. Never once did I feel I was handicapping myself.

I do tie flies, so I always have a flybox full of various patterns, but those two flies are always my "go to" patterns. In late winter and early spring I will fish a size 12 parachute adams, specifically when I think I can catch a nice brown on top.

I'll also fish a size 16 zebra midge in tailwaters. I'll tie two versions, one with silver wire and bead; and one with black wire and bead. Most people don't fish such a large midge, but I feel that the fewer bites I get is more than made up with more solid hook-ups and fish brought to hand when I do get a strike.

That's it. 99.378% of the time, those are the only flies of mine that touch the water while trout fishing.

Last edited by buzzmcmanus; 11-24-2013 at 02:21 PM..
Old 11-24-2013, 04:01 PM

Royal Wulff in the spring...
Yellow bodied wulff in the early summer....
Orange bodied wulff in the late summer into fall....
a pheasant tail or gold ribbed hairs ear nymph in the winter.....if it's snowing and howling wind.......and most importantly, if no one is watching........
Old 11-24-2013, 04:19 PM

For a long time I fished very little besides EHC's on 4x in the park, and caught plenty of fish. Then Doc figured out the paraleptophlebia adoptivas, and the madness began.

steve

Last edited by Stonefly; 11-26-2013 at 03:00 PM..
Old 11-26-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
For a long time I fished very little besides EHC's on 4x in the park, and caught plenty of fish. The Doc figured out the paraleptophlebia adoptivas, and the madness began.

steve
That's what happens when you hang with the wrong crowd.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:49 PM

I tie a lot of flies more as a hobby than anything and love to fish the flies I tie.

However, I honestly think I could catch just as many fish with a very few flies:

Trout:
Adams - 12, 14, 16, 18
Bead Head Pheasant Tail - same sizes
Bead Head Hares Ear - same sizes

On tail waters add
Griffith Ganat - size 18 and 20

For warm water:
Black wooly bugger - size 8, 10, 12
White wooly bugger - same sizes
foam popper - small, med, large yellow with yellow tail
bead head pheasant tail - size 12 and 14
Marabou Steamer - yellow.

I honestly think with the above flies, one can catch just about any fresh water fish worth catching on a fly rod.

Now, if you look in my fly box, you're oing to find all of these and a whole bunch of other flies too.

Jeff
Old 11-29-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
In most freestone streams you can get by with just a few basic flies.

1. 5 or 6 mayfly imitations=BWO, Quill Gordons, March Browns, Hendricksons, Light Cahills, and Isonychia will about cover the common hatches. Maybe if you get lucky you will see a few Green Drakes.

2. 4 or 5 attractor patterns. Humpies, White and Royal Wulffs, Stimis, parachute Adams, San Juan worms, and a few neversink caddis.

3. A few black and golden stone fly nymph imitations

4. A green and tan caddis pupa, they are one or the other 99% of the time

5. couple of wet fly patterns like a PT, BWO, and some generic light and dark colored patterns.

6. Few general nymph patterns. Pts. Hare's Ear, and Fox Squirrel will go a long way in a couple different sizes. Maybe throw in a Tellico and a copper john or two.

7 Terrestrials, maybe the most important of all and maybe the most productive fish catchers of the bunch. Ants, Beetles. inch worms. grasshoppers, and bees or wasp.

You would do well to read Byron's or Daniel's fishing reports everyday. They give good advice on not only flies to use but some basic tactics you need to be successful. Pay attention to what people are using that are catching fish. Fish with good fishermen, pick their brains when you can, and observe them when you can. It really is true that 10% of the fishermen are catching 90% of the fish.

All these will fit in one large box or a couple small ones. If I can't catch em with that assortment, I'll be back at the truck drinking beer and eating fried chicken.
Hard to argue with that advice. I used to bring way too many flies with me and way too many fly boxes. I wanted to be prepared for any situation until I started reading my log entries. I was catching nearly all my fish on about 6 different patterns. I still take too many flies with but, now I take the essentials on the stream with me and leave the rest in the car.
By the way I just started using San Juan worms this year.and was amazed at how well they catch trout here in the upper midwest.