Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-29-2013, 09:42 PM

Some people turn up their noses at the use of San Juan worms, not me Some people think that they imitate earth worms that have been washed into the stream, that does happen, but for the most part they are imitations of aquatic worms found in the stream bottom. Most are red to an almost pink color and about half the diameter of the average earth worm. Micro or ultra chenille is very close to the average thickness. Fish love them
Old 11-30-2013, 01:06 PM

Default San Juan Worms

I fish up at the South Holston behind the dam every chance I get and the guys at the South Holston River Fly Shop told me to add some San Juan worms to my fly box in pink, purple, etc. I had never seen one of these critters in a river so I asked why they were effective and they said these worms get washed into the river after heavy rains. I saw a guy using them on a spinning reel setup and he had caught several rainbows on them. I've yet to catch fish on the San Juan Worm on my fly rod but just passing on what they told me there. And I haven't tried them in the Smokies but intend to do that this spring. The guys at the SOHO fly shop said they had found it helpful when tying them to burn the ends of the chenille to make it more blunt looking. Harry
Old 11-30-2013, 02:42 PM

I never realized they were in the river either until I helped one summer with a TU with stream sampling of a local river. We used a seine and kicked up the bottom at the tail out of a large deep pool. The sample never failed to turn up numerous aquatic worms, not just one or two either. There would often be 10-20 worms in a sample. They looked like these

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ec...uatic_worm.htm

Last edited by flyman; 11-30-2013 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: 42
Old 12-03-2013, 01:35 AM

Size 12 or 14 parachute Adams. Size 14 or 16 parachute sulpher. EHC with orange, black, tan, olive, or peacock body. I carry a lot of fly boxes with a lot of flies, streamers, worms, nymphs, etc. I never know what I will never use but I know I have it.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
I never realized they were in the river either until I helped one summer with a TU with stream sampling of a local river. We used a seine and kicked up the bottom at the tail out of a large deep pool. The sample never failed to turn up numerous aquatic worms, not just one or two either. There would often be 10-20 worms in a sample. They looked like these

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ec...uatic_worm.htm
Just to clarify, these are indeed aquatic worms (not 'washed in' from terrestrial soil). They are oligochaetes (same group as earthworms). They live in the sediments, occupy freshwater and marine habitats all over the world, and can be abundant in well-oxygenated streams (hundreds per square meter). Yes, great fish food.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:26 AM

Live and learn, thanks Flyman. I bought micro-chenille in a few of these colors and will tie up a few to see how they work in the park this coming year. Harry Crabtree
Old 12-03-2013, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the info Chechem. I guess I've been overlooking these flies but will get that corrected. And it gives me an excuse to tie up something different too! Harry Crabtree
Old 12-19-2013, 10:12 PM

Still not sure but almost thinking about just trying this for top:

And something like this for subsurface: