Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 12-06-2013, 11:50 PM

Default Am I Crazy?

I am planning a little experiment for 2014. I plan on fishing only 4 patterns next year. I, like many of you, have boxes full of every fly you can think of to match almost any hatch on trout waters in the South East. But I found myself this year fishing the same patterns for the most part all year. So starting in late February for my birthday trip to the Park, I will start my year with these four patterns and try not to stray to see if I have as much success as previous years. I will only have Parachute Adams, Yellow Elk Hair Caddis, Hare's Ear, and Pheasant Tail. These will be in 12,14,16. So guy and girls, Am I Crazy?
Old 12-07-2013, 12:03 AM

Default Forgot to mention

Also, this will be the first year of fishing only my own flies no store bought flies.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:01 AM

If your crazy then I am too. Thats all I ever use year round. Sometimes in late summer I may use a greenie weeine just to see what happens but other than that I use dry dropper hairwing adams/PTor HE. In the Park, trout seem to like a yellow never sink caddis over the HW adams though.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:46 AM

Default Crazy?

Like a fox
Old 12-07-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
If your crazy then I am too. Thats all I ever use year round. Sometimes in late summer I may use a greenie weeine just to see what happens but other than that I use dry dropper hairwing adams/PTor HE. In the Park, trout seem to like a yellow never sink caddis over the HW adams though.
Yeah I was thinking about picking up some foam to switch to the neversink after seeing everyone raving about it this year. Plus it looks easier and faster to make.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwardmba View Post
Like a fox
Call me Mr. Fox then, cause I am feeling crazy.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:57 PM

I think you will do just fine. It's mostly about presentation and fishing with flies your confident in. It's always nice/rewarding catching fish on flies you tied yourself too. Have a great 2014 fishing season.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:13 PM

Add me to the list of "crazies!!"........your choices sound good to me. I have been this sort of crazy for years now. I will add however, to let yourself "experiment", so to speak at the vise. Griffith gnat variations are easy and very effective from here to Montana......good luck with your venture.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:26 AM

Default OK going with six patterns

I settled on a box today and it is a six compartment box that will fit in a shirt pocket well. Also I am getting into tying with foam. So I am going to go with the neversink over the elk hair caddis. And adding the green weenie and foam beetle. Most of my trips will be summer trips so the original list with these two additions I feel I will have all the summer insects covered with one box and six patterns. Really getting excited about this minimalist approach.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:55 PM

It has only been a few days and your bumping yourself up to six patterns. Let's take a poll and see how many patterns McDaniels is going to be up to, by the time he takes his first trip to the park in 2014 lol.

Last edited by onthefly; 12-09-2013 at 04:15 PM..