Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 12-09-2013, 05:42 PM

I can go with four easily. Para Adams Bwo pmx pheasant tail. My problem is I can't get down to just one rod. I got so many "smokies" rods that I change rods more than flies
Old 12-09-2013, 08:48 PM

I don't post often, I am not an expert or local, I have fished gsnp for 10 days in early summer for the past 5 yrs and can say 4 patterns are all you need.anything that resembles a yellow sally,I tie an extended body foam that gets lots of hits.greenie weenie in colors [green ,pink ,red] I use the spirit river squirmy wormy material and have fish fighting over my offerings. I have found a foam beetle [14-16] can create a fun response and my bow to david knape is a tellico nymph. of course all can be altered to create thousand of flies
Old 12-11-2013, 03:47 PM

Default You must know me !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthefly View Post
It has only been a few days and your bumping yourself up to six patterns. Let's take a poll and see how many patterns McDaniels is going to be up to, by the time he takes his first trip to the park in 2014 lol.
You usually would be right but I am sticking to it this time. I have already put all my other stuff in my left over fishing gear tote. And I only have the six compartment box in my Fishpond San Juan pack. So we will have to see what the poll says. LOL
Old 12-11-2013, 03:51 PM

Default You are right Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
I can go with four easily. Para Adams Bwo pmx pheasant tail. My problem is I can't get down to just one rod. I got so many "smokies" rods that I change rods more than flies
I am starting to do the same thing. I am trying my best not to buy one right now. But I seem to be failing BAD !!!
Old 12-11-2013, 03:57 PM

Default That is a great summer list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdog View Post
I don't post often, I am not an expert or local, I have fished gsnp for 10 days in early summer for the past 5 yrs and can say 4 patterns are all you need.anything that resembles a yellow sally,I tie an extended body foam that gets lots of hits.greenie weenie in colors [green ,pink ,red] I use the spirit river squirmy wormy material and have fish fighting over my offerings. I have found a foam beetle [14-16] can create a fun response and my bow to david knape is a tellico nymph. of course all can be altered to create thousand of flies
I really like the list you have and I see what you are saying. I have come to the realization based on input from forum members and my limited experience, these park fish aren't to picky about the fly as long as the color and size is right. The real trick is to be stealthy with a proper drift. That is the reason for me trimming the fat on patterns. Just want to be able to tie a few flies really good rather than tie many patterns ok. Plus I have been bit by the catch them on your own fly bug.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:04 PM

I haven't fished the Smokies that much to offer an informed opinion. But, for the upper midwest I can get by with about six patterns. The only exception is when there's a hatch. However, during many of the hatches up here I've found the fish to be more keyed on the emergers than the adults hence, I always carry a box of softhackles with me. I can't tell you how many times they've saved me from a day of frustration. When the hatch is on pull out a wet fly that looks as close to the natural as you can get, then cast down and across. As you soon as the fly ends it's drift and begins to swing across current thats usually when the fish will hit it. Also a lot of times they'll take the wet fly dead drift. Watch your fly closely.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:44 PM

I been thinking about going with 3 or 4 patterns next year for bass fishing. I most have at least 300 different patterns for bass and only use 3 to 4 of them any way
Old 12-20-2013, 07:23 PM

Yep, a hopper or popper for bass 90% of the time.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:33 PM

Thats two of the flies I use. The other two are stealth bomber and Daves frogs driver.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:20 AM

My others vary, sometimes a woolly bugger or a thunder creek streamer (very cool fly for many species). I always want to experiment but they just nail the popper. I know this is predominantly a trout board but smallies smashing a popper - oh my.