Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-04-2013, 07:47 PM

Default Dec/Jan Southern Trout up

The Dec/jan issue of Southern Trout is up for viewing at www.southerntrout.com. I hope you like it.

We're off tomorrow to Asheville, NC and the WNC Fly Fishing Expo. Last year several boarders were there. Come by and say hi. We're giving away a pair of Maui Jim shades, so be sure you get your name in the pot for that drawing. As always, a few smoke sticks will be there in the jar for the addicted.

Working coming along nicely for the WWW/Southern Trout Fly Fishing Fair at the LeConte Center in Pigeon Forge. I was there yesterday--impressive facility. The PFCC events people are excited about expanding their venue,and of course we are too. Boarder Shawn Madison and Fred Turner are on the program.

Stackpole sent me the edited version of Hatches and Flies of the Great Smoky Mountains along with a note suggesting I learn some basic grammar. Too late in life for a old man like me to pick up on book smarts.
dk
Old 12-09-2013, 04:05 PM

Default WNC Expo fun

The WNC Fly Fishing Expo in Asheville last week was fun. I talked to a lot of people who came over mountains to event from Tennessee. It is my understanding that attendance was up about 20 percent from last year. We had a great time. Ron Gaddy & Rex Wilson helped in our booth. Between them they knew everyone at the show. We passed out out a couple of boxes of brochures for the Wilderness Wildlife Week/Southern Trout Fly Fishing Fair in Pigeon Forge, February 1st.

Those folks have gone Musky Mad over there. It's a shame that TWRA has virtually ignored musky for the last 40 years. I fought that fight a long time ago with them and just don't need another bloody nose, at least so long as there is otters for me carp about.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kirk View Post

Those folks have gone Musky Mad over there. It's a shame that TWRA has virtually ignored musky for the last 40 years. I fought that fight a long time ago with them and just don't need another bloody nose, at least so long as there is otters for me carp about.

Don,
Actually; TWRA has been raising and releasing musky for the past few years in TN. I helped them release 5,000 last year. Now; if I can only catch one...(?)
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 12-11-2013 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: TWRA not TVA - Sorry...
Old 12-10-2013, 07:09 PM

Default You are correct

Shawn,
TVA has been doing so, but for years TWRA would not touch musky stocking other than a little work done in the upper reaches of the Cumberland River. Built almost 75 years, the old hatchery in Morristown was largely established to produce musky. It is my understanding that raising them in a hatchery is tough and more expensive than about anything else you can rear in one of those places.

Of course in those biologist at TWRA were convinced we would never need to stock crappie or have a creel limit on them. They said too that a deer needed a 1,000 acres of wooded land to live on, and that elk would not live here due to brain worms. Oh yes, and there are no coyotes in Tennessee, just a few "coydogs". I believe we be seeing gray wolves--not red ones--in the South sooner than later.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:43 AM

Don,
Please forgive my error. I miss-typed the first-time and put TVA when it should have been TWRA. Sorry!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 12-11-2013, 09:03 PM

Default pigeon forge

when is the pigeon forge "fair"??
Old 12-14-2013, 03:01 PM

Default Sorry it took so long...

Laux,
Sorry it took me so long to reply to your question. The only ABC store in the town where I live burned to the ground two nights ago. This necessitated me making a 16 mile ride on my bicycle to Mulga. The ride over the in the rain was tolerable enough, as much of the route is paved roads. However, the ride back was taxing, you know, with all of the freight strapped to the front and back of the bicycle.

Regarding your inquiry about the “fair,” which incidentally was a fair enough question to pose, it is February 1st at the LeConte Center in Pigeon Forge. It runs from 9:00 AM to 6:30 PM. You can see the program schedule in the current issue of Southern Trout (www.southerntrout.com). The only difference in what you will see there that one speaker (Steve Vorcaskit) cancelled out. He has been replaced with Clay Aadlers of Smoky Mountain Ghillies who will talk on fly fishing in the national park. Otherwise the line up is the same, and the event is free to attend as it is part of the 24th Wilderness Wildlife Week.

A couple of things you will not see on the ad is the list of fly tiers who have graciously agreed to come demonstrate their craft. I do not want to list them now as their times for tying have not been established. However, I will say it is a group of the best known tiers from the area as well as from NC, AL, GA and Middle TN. It is even rumored that Olive K. Nynne will be there to donate dubbing.