Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 12-26-2013, 09:38 PM

Default Fun with Thread

I tied a few Sulphur Haystacks this evening and thought I would make one with a thread body. I like the slim profile. It has been floating in a glass for about a half hour now w/o any floatant. I wonder how long It would stay up in the stream?

Sulphur Haystack
Hook: Standard Dry
Thread: Light Cahill 6/0
Wing: Short Fine Bleached Deer Hair
Tail: Same as Wing
Body: Light Cahill Thread
Old 12-26-2013, 09:56 PM

That looks really nice! I think the fish will approve as most flies are tied too bulky it seems. As far as floating, I think it will work fine except in heavy water and you can get away with a more heavily dressed fly in that water type anyway.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 12-27-2013, 07:41 AM

Default Still Floating

It was still Floating at 6:30 this morning.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:19 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backtrax View Post
It was still Floating at 6:30 this morning.
It's not how well they float in water, It's how well they float once they have been in a trout's mouth

Nice looking fly
Old 12-27-2013, 09:37 AM

Most dries float great for long periods of time in calm water. It is the capillary action of water with turbidity that helps them lose their buoyancy...and other things. Your fly looks fabulous and I am a proponent of the slim-line body.

One idea to try is using pieces of old fly line (floating) for the body. It works great and you can use a lighter to taper it appropriately. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 12-27-2013, 09:41 PM

I've been working on filling up my fly boxes for next year. I've never tried tying a comparadun before but, this year I'm going to try. You're right the thread body gives it a nice slim profile just like you would see in an adult mayfly. Most of my mayfly imitations are tied parachute style or Klinkhammer style which works up here but, I think those flies would be drowned in the turbulent streams of the Smokies
Deerhair is hollow so even a comparadun should float well in the streams in the Smokies. I've never heard of using an old fly line for a body before. It would certainly be a fun experiment to try. When you use a lighter to taper the body do you need to it in well ventilated room? Would there be an issue with the fumes given off?
Old 12-28-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softhackle View Post
I've been working on filling up my fly boxes for next year. I've never tried tying a comparadun before but, this year I'm going to try. You're right the thread body gives it a nice slim profile just like you would see in an adult mayfly. Most of my mayfly imitations are tied parachute style or Klinkhammer style which works up here but, I think those flies would be drowned in the turbulent streams of the Smokies
Deerhair is hollow so even a comparadun should float well in the streams in the Smokies.
I've never heard of using an old fly line for a body before. It would certainly be a fun experiment to try. When you use a lighter to taper the body do you need to it in well ventilated room? Would there be an issue with the fumes given off?

Softhackle, old fly line works fabulous for dry flies. I tie several of my dries with it in a combination of variations. The easiest is to cut a piece to the desired body size and use a razor or knife to shave one side flat. I use a flame to mold the ends. Also; I like to use a little super glue to help situate and start the fly. You can use the original fly line color for the body or color it with a marker. A traditional look is to wrap it with your favorite thread color. Note your old line's taper style so that you can select from areas with different line thickness for different bodies. I am sure there are some risks with an open flame. However; I just use enough to whisk the ends of the line and taper with my fingers. Hope this helps.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 12-29-2013, 12:56 PM

Thanks Shawn, your answer was a big help.