Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 12-27-2013, 06:36 PM

Default Fly Tying Desk Plans & photos

Guys I've been tying flies on an old oak roll top desk but it puts the vice so high, it's actually hurting my arms and shoulders to tie on it. That said, I'm wanting to have a fly tying desk built. And I've got a good friend who is a master craftsman who will help me build it but I need photos and ideas. So if any of you have any photos or plans for a simple handmade functional fly tying desk, I'd like to see that please. I want this to be something I can hand down to my grandkids one day. Thanks for your attention. Harry Crabtree
Old 12-27-2013, 09:32 PM

You may wish to visit the website for Stoney Creek Fly Tying. They build fly tying furniture and such. You may be able to pick up some ideas on what you would like. Like you I used a small desk and finally just bit the bullet and had Soney Creek build me a solid cherry fly tying desk. It worked out perfect.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:00 AM

Will do trico, thanks. I appreciate the lead. Harry Crabtree
Old 12-28-2013, 10:17 AM

Lightbulb Google SketchUp

Check out Google SketchUp! It is a free design software and very easy to use. Also; you can search and import models from other people. Here is a fly tying desk design I found.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...ee10a6ff4085ff

to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 12-28-2013, 10:50 AM

Default Ideas

Thanks. I tried looking at this site but it won't allow me to go there and I get this msg: "We are sorry, but you do not have access to this service. Please contact your domain administrator for access." Now what? Harry Crabtree
Old 12-28-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeB4Dark View Post
Thanks. I tried looking at this site but it won't allow me to go there and I get this msg: "We are sorry, but you do not have access to this service. Please contact your domain administrator for access." Now what? Harry Crabtree
hmm? Not sure about that...Sounds like you might be using a work or school network that has Google Blocked...(?)

Or, you may need a Google-Gmail Account to view and access the site...Give that a try.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:49 AM

I clicked the link and it took me to a Google sign in page, so that seems to be the issue.

steve
Old 12-29-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
I clicked the link and it took me to a Google sign in page, so that seems to be the issue.

steve
Thanks Steve for helping us clarify!

I recommend Google SketchUp to anyone who likes to design things and is a Layman at CAD Software. It is very easy to use and free. Plus, you can import designs from the Google StetchUp Community and modify them or use them in your designs. Also; you do not have to have a monster PC to run the software as it is mostly cloud based. However; many experienced CAD users find this software cumbersome in that many of its commands are contradictory to traditional CAD software.