Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Rod Building

Old 01-09-2014, 06:25 PM

Default needing a little help

i broke my favorite rod this past october and finally sent it in for the no fault warranty. man they flipped it at light speed, it was there and back in less than a week! the problem is, since it is a custom built rod they sent me back the new broken portion as a blank, along with the original broken piece, and a new blank tip. (it was stated in the warranty that custom rods would be replaced with blanks but i was hoping they wouldn't notice) now i have 5 pieces to a 4 piece rod and only 3 of them are usable. i was wondering if there was anyone local who could put this back together and is reasonably priced? i would also like the tip finished so i have a spare when i inevitably slam a door shut on it. the only difference with this rod as far as i can tell is it does not have snake guides, and the guides are black. it has gold wrap above the ferrules but i don't know if that is standard or not.

right now i am just looking for an estimate. i still have contact info for the man in alabama who built this rod but i would like to avoid shipping yet again, and to buy local this time if i can.

Email Punk

http://lastdrifteffort.blogspot.com

Last edited by 77punk; 01-09-2014 at 06:47 PM..
Old 01-10-2014, 09:47 AM

Talking I have an idea

Steve Darnell who leads my water sampling team for the acid water samples is going to teach a rod building class in the next few months. I'm sure you could just build the one segment instead or a whole rod, or you may want to build a whole rod plus fix your segment.

Steve has been meeting with several people including myself teaching fly tying over the past year, and really knows what he is doing. A lot of rod building from what he said comes down to having the right jigs, etc.

It will be free in West Knoxville most likely at Faith Lutheran Church for you or anyone else who is interested to join in. No religious overtones or anything like that just some avid fly fisherman trying to learn something
Old 01-10-2014, 11:33 PM

I would like to attend that. Will you post my info when time comes?
Old 01-12-2014, 02:52 PM

Default thats an interesting idea

i will have to give that some thought, mostly as to whether or not i need to go that far down the rabbit hole. i don't know if that is something i would continue doing once the class is done. i wouldn't want to just use the class to fix my rod on the cheap when someone else who would put that knowledge to good use could have my seat.

Email Punk

Old 01-29-2014, 03:29 PM

Well it turns out I know someone who builds rods as a hobby and guiding is slow right now so he has the time to fix my rod. Maybe someday I will have the space and time to take up this art, its not now though. Thanks for the offer anyways ducky!

Email Punk

Old 01-29-2014, 03:48 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77punk View Post
Well it turns out I know someone who builds rods as a hobby and guiding is slow right now so he has the time to fix my rod. Maybe someday I will have the space and time to take up this art, its not now though. Thanks for the offer anyways ducky!

Steve ended up having to buy a house real quick, so I'm not sure when we will get class going, but I will post it for everybody here for sure

Glad you got it worked out