Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 02-25-2014, 10:19 PM

Default Groundwater Fishery

Hey guys, since it's been slow lately, I thought i might pick the board's collective knowledge on a subject that's been on my mind for years. As a kid (grew up in the Chattanooga area) I was taken to visit a trout farm that used groundwater emerging from the base of a mountain. They ran water through several different concrete cells, but also had a more natural looking pond that they cycled water through.

I have always wondered how successful one could be if that same water source was used to create a private, natural stream. Obviously the most difficult task would be to find a suitable artesian well or other water source, but I was wondering if that was obtained, could introduced fish reproduce/are there additional hurdles one must overcome with the groundwater aside from introducing oxygen?

If anyone knows of any local cases where this has been done, I would be really curious to hear about it and how it was done.
Old Yesterday, 12:09 AM

I know this is a very late reply, but I haven't checked out this part of the board in a long time. Here is an article about what you are talking about done here in Alabama.
http://alfafarmers.org/stories/publi...ing-fed-waters