Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-16-2014, 02:01 AM

Default Streaming for Stockers.

As all of you know twra is so graciously kind to stock streams in East Tennessee with plenty of good fighting and skillet friendly rainbows. I've only been fully committed to fly fishing for trout for a couple years now after spin fishing for trout my entire life with my dad and papaw, both of which still spin fish regiously and there's nothing wrong with it. My papaw was the one who got me fly fishing for panfish and bass when I was young. And everyone knows inline spinners are excellent for stocker rainbows. I've been wondering if anyone has recommendations on some small streamer patterns(other than Wooly buggers) that will fool some stockers in the upcoming months. Possibly something that can mimic the color and flash of a mepps spinner. Now don't get me wrong I'd rather be hip deep in the clinch or wading some freestone streams in GSMNP or Tellico river, but when flows are unfavorable there's nothing wrong with going after the stockers than we in turn pay for with license fees. Any fishing is better than no fishing. But please any and all ideas, thoughts, patterns, words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ����
Old 02-16-2014, 09:55 AM

Nothing wrong with a wooly bugger, but a simi seal leech is very simple and effective. Or, the modern articulated streamers might do what you want in terms of action, though that seems like overkill on those snits.

steve

Last edited by Stonefly; 02-16-2014 at 10:59 AM..
Old 02-16-2014, 11:33 AM

Hey Rob,

I live next to a stocked stream and have had some luck with a few flies that would be easily adapted for use with a spinning rod. The CB Stocker, Alexandra, and White Miller wet flies can be tied with extra weight. Other wet fly patterns: the Butcher, and those with yellow or ginger body and dark mallard wings. (Ray Bergman wets). Woolly Bugger colors: black with grizzly, olive w/grizzly and brown tail; and, especially in off color water a monochromatic claret or reddish brown works. And, if you have some willow spoon blades (on or off the wire), they add weight and flash. I used these flies a lot when I first started fly fishing. My fly casting was so frustrating at the beginning. So I took an ultralight spin rod with me and rewarded myself with a few catches that way using those flies. Wrapping the flies with a flashy wire helps with weight and attraction too. The river at my place has as many gone wild hold overs as it gets stockers and those flies work with the wild ones too.
Funny, now I can't cast a spinning rod worth a flip. Every time I try I end up with a huge tangle. But I still use those flies when I'm needing a quick catch!

Last edited by Riversong; 02-16-2014 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-16-2014, 01:11 PM

A small single blade inline Hildebrandt spinner attached to a small bugger, wooly worm, or heavily dressed soft hackle works pretty good on stockers. similar in action to a rooster tail but still lite enough to cast with a fly rod.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversong View Post
Hey Rob,

I live next to a stocked stream and have had some luck with a few flies that would be easily adapted for use with a spinning rod. The CB Stocker, Alexandra, and White Miller wet flies can be tied with extra weight. Other wet fly patterns: the Butcher, and those with yellow or ginger body and dark mallard wings. (Ray Bergman wets). Woolly Bugger colors: black with grizzly, olive w/grizzly and brown tail; and, especially in off color water a monochromatic claret or reddish brown works. And, if you have some willow spoon blades (on or off the wire), they add weight and flash. I used these flies a lot when I first started fly fishing. My fly casting was so frustrating at the beginning. So I took an ultralight spin rod with me and rewarded myself with a few catches that way using those flies. Wrapping the flies with a flashy wire helps with weight and attraction too. The river at my place has as many gone wild hold overs as it gets stockers and those flies work with the wild ones too.
Funny, now I can't cast a spinning rod worth a flip. Every time I try I end up with a huge tangle. But I still use those flies when I'm needing a quick catch!
I would second this and all you have to do is cast down and across and allow the current to swing your flies in the current. You should have a blast with those stockers.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:34 AM

Well I did manage to get out today and give it a shot at one of my old stocker streams. I knew it would be cold and prolly tough going but I try not to waste my days off from work. I literally try to fish every day I'm not bound to what pays the bills. I've managed to tie up some wooly buggers to test out on these rainbows and after finding the right pattern and color combo I did manage to get a few trout (and some creek chubs) to hand. The day started off with snow flurries and they tapered off fast along with the clouds. One thing that did stick around was the ice on my guides. The 60 degree weather we've had for the past week was just enough to spoil us. Here's a couple pics from the day.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:24 PM

Yep, I know all about ice on the guides. I don't think the spring ponds up here were stocked last fall. I've been skunked on every outing. No strikes and not a fish seen. I'm you guys are catching fish.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:27 AM

Here's an big ugly stocker rainbow my friend landed on our trip today to one of our old favorite stocker streams. Caught Quite a few but this one was diffinately the best. Wooly bugger tied with lots of flash seems to fool the stupid ones. Haha but I'll take whatever I can get until we get some good flows on the clinch and such.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:51 AM

your pals fish picture looks like it might be a holdover fish rather than a recent fresh stocker. Nice fish even if it is a stocker. The stream looks like it has some spring water flow in to it, and definitely has that limestone look to it. .
Old 03-03-2014, 11:08 AM

Certainly not a snit.

steve