Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-06-2014, 07:01 PM

Default Public access in Townsend

I have done a few searches but found only threads speaking of the lack of public access in Townsend... Does anyone know of a map or of any indications on the road that show public access. I have been fishing Tremont, and can't seem to get a break... thought I would try something on the bigger water but can't seem to find any place for access until you get down around the apple shop...

Any information would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-07-2014, 12:54 AM

Honestly I would try smaller, less pressured water, but that's just my opinion
Old 03-10-2014, 05:01 PM

You can cross the swinging bridge near Miss Lily's and fish on the other side. The property is Wellspring Resort owned by Jill and Steve (nice folks). They don't mind fishermen if they stay near the water and don't roam around. If the place gets trashed, they might change their mind.

You can enter the water at bridges. I wade around in town and nobody says anything to me. If you want to access the river at a business, ask for permission. Some home owners I know don't mind if you ask. I fish the lower end of town for smallmouth bass. Most of that is State Right-of-way.

Stocked trout move into the water near and above the last campground before entering the Park. That's a good place to fish.

That's a good start.

Byron
Old 03-11-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
Honestly I would try smaller, less pressured water, but that's just my opinion
I have been fishing up in Tremont, but I haven't had much luck.. I am not used to the smaller streams. I am thinking of hiring a guide to show me around in the smoky's
Old 03-11-2014, 09:00 PM

If you decide to hire a guide, I have fished with Rob Fightmaster a few times and really enjoyed him. I learned more about fishing the park in a few hours with Rob than I would in several years on my own.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:18 PM

You would do well to hire a guide for a day. I've been with Ian Rutter three times and learned quite a lot each time. I know there are a number of other high quality guides out there too. I've heard Josh Pfeifer (??) is good, and I know that LRO has some good guides.

The nice thing about guides is that the keep you on the water. They are constantly untangling you, tying your knots, and showing you where the fish are, and where they aren't.

When you are on your own, like I was today, I'm the one screwing with getting unhooked from the tree branches, trying to push a leader through that teeny tiny hole, etc. That means I'm not on the water as much.

But a good guide shows you WHERE the fish are, and ensures your time on the water is maximized. Gets your confidence up.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:03 AM

I agree with about everything that Husker has to say about going with a guide in the Smokies.....including going with Ian. I've gone with him 3 times as well ....He is a really good guide.

Mike