Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-31-2014, 01:16 PM

Default Little River TU Campout Cataloochee 3/21-3/23

This marked the first camp out of the year for the Little River chapter of Trout Unlimited. Saying that Cataloochee is beautiful is an understatement, in my opinion if Cades Cove is a 10 than Cataloochee is a 9.9999. I see why some of the guide books are hesitant to dwell on this side of the mountain, if driving a one lane dirt road to the top of Catalooched Divide, than driving down hill for a total of 8-10 miles on a washboard road is your thing than have at it. Factor in rain, snow, mud and sunshine sometimes all on the same day, I have been on ski patrol at Cataloochee for a number of years and when people ask what to bring I say everything you will see it all in spring, fall and winter.

One of the beauties of the valley is the variety of streams, each day we headed in diffrent directions, step out of your tent into the water, fish Metcalf like water, drive to the valley floor some say it resembles upstate NY wide, meandring thru the valley, head up the various trails and stream reminds you of Elkmont or high and tight like Thunderhead-Sams. I think someone said they ran into some anglers, but I never saw one over three days.

Bear with me while I post pictures, these are from three diffrent sources, so may post pictures first and add copy later.

Going in Friday

Setting camp

When they say your campsite is on the water they ain't kidding!

The real Motley Crew

Not a lot of fish pictures, you all know what trout look like, this trip was about exploring new areas as it was fishing

Into the valley from campsite

Fishing the valley floor

F

Look for the first elk on way to Prettty Hollow
Peekaboo

Rain held of until Sunday morning

More to come and!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Last edited by bigsur; 03-31-2014 at 04:09 PM..
Old 03-31-2014, 04:02 PM

PART DEAUX

South end of North bound Elk

What Elk do all day: Eat & Poop If you have ever wondered about elk scat, and I don't know why you would! Think piles of Coca puffs, i commented I thought it would be bigger based on size of the animal, someone said if you were doing it every three minutes is why it looks like large rabbit pellets!

Back to food, if you starve at a TU campout it's your own fault. How about dutch oven pizza

Tearing down Sunday in the rain always a crowd pleaser and a little sleet at top of the mountain

Even in the rain notice the grill being worked, always start your day camping with eggs, country ham and maple bacon, biscuits with jelly!

Heading out climbing in the rain, the last pavement till wet slick mud at high altitude

Somewhere between 3-3,500 ft a 1 1/2 lane road turns into a 3/4 lane rd

The last switchback on dirt, you can see the pavement start below for the next 3-4 miles out to the main road.

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 04-02-2014, 08:14 AM

It was a great trip. The fishing was a little slow on Friday evening. Saturday was a beautiful day and around 1:00 pm I got a quill Gordon hatch. I landed 6 in about 35 minutes. Definitely a place I want to get back to. Oh yeah, because of no light pollution, the stars at night were awesome.
A great time with some great guys.

God Bless,
Dances with Trout
Old 04-02-2014, 01:25 PM

Smile

Thanks for the report. I hope to join you guys on the next TU campout.
Nice pictures, and even though I know what trout look like, I never get bored seeing their pictures
Old 04-05-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Thanks for the report. I hope to join you guys on the next TU campout.
Nice pictures, and even though I know what trout look like, I never get bored seeing their pictures
There would have been more trout pics, but every time BigSur got 25-30 fish in his creel, a wildlife officer came along and made him let them go. The were hitting the corn hard! ;-)
Old 04-07-2014, 11:01 AM

Thanks for the early season report...headed back to Cataloochee later this month.