Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-05-2014, 08:19 PM

Talking BiPolar Brookies

While I hit a hot fishing streak a little while back, I haven't been able to fish in the last 10 days and with the latest rain event missing the Smokies decided to ditch paddling today and head to the Smokies for some Brookie fishing. My wife just changed jobs and I needed to be home by 5 which cut the fishing a little short, but I made the best of it.

Stopped by LRO and gave Byron his foamies. We chatted for quite a while then after purchased my troutfest ticket, as well as my duplicate license (how I lost it already), some tippet and Frog's Fanny and headed for the river.

Parking lot was jammed packed. Lucky for me they were headed a different direction. I started my hike taking in the transition 10 days makes in the Smokies. The forest floor was barron and now was alive once again. Spring Flowers are starting to come out nicely.

This is a wildflower forum isn't it

Don't worry I hit the river soon enough

And after a few pools got this guy

I decided to hike up a bit further

Fishing was slow at first and I only managed 3 in the first hour of hard fishing

First one on the dry

Old 04-05-2014, 08:40 PM

Talking

Beautiful Spring day. No complaints from me

After about an hour and a half of me fishing it turned on

Here are some of the prettier fish. I tried to cut down so BigSur would not be overwhelmed.

And what's left of Nathan's grey neversink after 2 successful trips

Skelator - Do you see it?

The fishing the last hour was pretty darn good. While you weren't catching multiples out of most pools the fish were finally active. It was tough having to bail and hike out when the fishing is good, but duty calls.

Big Medicine

And while I saw many Trillium getting ready to bloom, I only saw 2 blooming

Ran into a guy tight lining on the hike out. He was deeper in the forest than you usually find the tourons and I'm guessing was looking for some solitude. I thought at first from a distance he was walking a downed tree or something but had a z drag set between 2 trees and was either practicing for the circus, really working on his balance, or has been watching too many episodes of Modern Family He had towels to protect the trees he was using and didn't seem to be causing any harm, just not something you usually see.

Till next time
Old 04-05-2014, 09:48 PM

Nice. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:39 PM

Ducky,thanks for the mention, yes I did think I had logged into Dogwood Arts Festival webpage at first but you redeemed yourself with the great pictures of brookies in full spring bloom! I just got in from the Clinch and made sure I took some pictures of fish just for you.
That also was nice of you to post in the fishin buddy post, I hope someone took you up on your offer. However I understand Stanta Claus
is still receivng physical and mental therapy after trying to keep up with you.

Thanks for mentioning Troutfest tickets, a lot of people are working hard to make that night a success. It's just around the corner and I am
looking forward to a big night!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Last edited by bigsur; 04-05-2014 at 11:25 PM..
Old 04-06-2014, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the post, the flowers, and the inspiration.
The Smokies look beautiful.
I'll be there in 2 weeks, so warn the brookies. Can't wait!
Old 04-06-2014, 03:50 PM

Default nice photos Ducky

Enjoyed your wildflowers and fish photos.
Question- Did you have to walk very far to this location, and is it easy walking? I fished the gravel road at Tremont Saturday morning for a couple of hours, and caught 2 small fish on PA.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:04 PM

Great post I always enjoy your pictures.

Tom
Old 04-07-2014, 10:04 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
I just got in from the Clinch and made sure I took some pictures of fish just for you.
That also was nice of you to post in the fishin buddy post, I understand Stanta Claus
is still receivng physical and mental therapy after trying to keep up with you.
Still waiting on those pics

Not sure if it was the physical exertion, or my personality that scared him off

Quote:
Originally Posted by chechem View Post
I'll be there in 2 weeks, so warn the brookies. Can't wait!
I warn every one I hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivergal View Post
Enjoyed your wildflowers and fish photos.
Question- Did you have to walk very far to this location, and is it easy walking? I fished the gravel road at Tremont Saturday morning for a couple of hours, and caught 2 small fish on PA.
I bet if you fished that same stretch in the afternoon you would have had much better success. The fishing for me turned on a little after 1

I hiked somewhere between 4-5 miles total. I usually hike further but it's early in the year, I had the whole stream to myself, and pressure hasn't yet picked up yet. As for easy walking it's all relative. Pretty easy manway but you have to climb over downed trees, and if you are not used to following manways might get off course if you have never been there before. It's also the kind of place that when you get to know it is pretty simple by remote backcountry standards and a place I feel comfortable venturing alone. I'll be happy to take you up there. Elevation gain if pretty low at 400 ft a mile
Old 04-07-2014, 11:09 AM

Default Thanks Ducky

Thanks for the info on hiking distance and terrain. I am not much of a hiker, and my 64 year old knees dislike rock hopping. I usually fish easy access spots.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Not sure if it was the physical exertion, or my personality that scared him off
Nothing wrong with your personality, I just felt badly about you having to double back to see if I'd had a heart attack or stroke every so often instead of concentrating of giving those brookies a sore lip.

To anybody entertaining thoughts of going fishing with Ducky, be advised that this man's motor runs at a whole different speed. Think high performance, high rev, turbo-charged sprint car. And he likes to crawl on his belly like a snake through rhododendron thickets that make bears and wild hogs think twice, and climb 30' waterfalls with his rod in his teeth for fun. Me, I'm more like a 1-ton diesel dually pickup truck with low-range gearbox stuck in granny gear. I don't go real fast, and I huff and puff and blow a fair amount of smoke, but I'll get there eventually.