Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-09-2014, 07:55 PM

Default Big Brown Trout

Spent the last 2 weeks working on the Drift Boat getting it a fresh new bottom of Gel Coat. What a difference it makes!!!!

Ready to fish!!

After the new gel coat, had to get on the water today. A long day of streamer fishing with a good friend, we were rewarded with a very fine fish to hand that was safely released.

23 in. 5 1/2 lbs!!

To be fished for........another day!!!

Thanks Guy for a Great Day!!!

Thank You,

Breck

Last edited by Breck; 04-09-2014 at 08:16 PM..
Old 04-09-2014, 09:10 PM

Cool rig and a very fine fish!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:24 PM

Glad you got your boat taken care of! That is a beautiful brown, and I'll look forward to seeing more reports now that you are back out with the boat.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-09-2014, 11:42 PM

Nice fish guys.

Sacramento River on a #28 micro midge!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:30 AM

Breck,
Great job on the boat! Did you decided against Rhino-lining the bottom?

Sweet brown too...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-10-2014, 09:00 PM

Looking at water line down with the Rhino. Fished with a guide on the S. Holston who had the whole underneath lined. No damage after 3 years fishing. He fishes primarily the Watauga and Soho.

Shawn, David and Rocky and anyone else thats wants to......we need to Road trip it for Browns. Soon!!!!

Breck
Old 04-11-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck View Post

Shawn, David and Rocky and anyone else thats wants to......we need to Road trip it for Browns. Soon!!!!

Breck
Let's do it!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-11-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck View Post
Looking at water line down with the Rhino. Fished with a guide on the S. Holston who had the whole underneath lined. No damage after 3 years fishing. He fishes primarily the Watauga and Soho.
Breck
I've rowed a few boats that had a rhino lined bottom and in my opinion it caused a lot of drag....not to mention added a fair amount of weight.

That new bottom is going to glide like butter and it would be a shame to lose that for something that is.....well, useless. Even if you take a few licks that bottom is going to be fine and still have a smooth glide.

Once you learn the rivers you will not be hitting much anyway, then the rhino lining with simply be added weight and drag.

Just my two cents.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyraccoon View Post
I've rowed a few boats that had a rhino lined bottom and in my opinion it caused a lot of drag....not to mention added a fair amount of weight.

That new bottom is going to glide like butter and it would be a shame to lose that for something that is.....well, useless. Even if you take a few licks that bottom is going to be fine and still have a smooth glide.

Once you learn the rivers you will not be hitting much anyway, then the rhino lining with simply be added weight and drag.

Just my two cents.
Rocky...I do think it would lose some ease in maneuverability. However; I think the positive side of having the protection and maintenance would be worth it. Unless you are an avid rower and value the beauty of a drift boat's design more than a utilitarian. It is a balance and I think it depends on the owner and the waters they frequent.

I have found and fixed several drift boats that had one or two deep gouges in to the substrate-foam structure. They were full of water and probably had a couple hundred pounds of water weight. Have to put them under vacuum or cut all the bad foam out. If your boat seems heavier; check for any deep gouges. You can quick fix it by drilling a few weep holes and leaving out in the sun for a week or two. Then patching with some water-specific bondo and topping with resin. Order some touch up gel coat for $10 and use a small brush to blend and fix the bad areas. I like to mask each of the holes and areas of patching to make it easier to keep clean.

I however do not row...period...I am a troller and not the TV/Phone kind of troll.
to choose, to respond, to change.”