Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 05-06-2014, 09:58 PM

Talking Moving Day

A few of them TRUE Cocke County Natives made the move to Blount County today and are now residing in Lower Lynn Camp

I felt lucky to help the fisheries department today, and had a wonderful day and learned a lot as always.

We met at Park headquarters at 8 AM. I got to see 2 Turkeys in full strut working it for 7 or 8 females on the drive in which was a treat. We quickly loaded up the truck and headed for Cosby. Once we arrived we met up with another group of volunteers who were park of a park program where they take community leaders and have them work in many areas of the park to give them a better understanding of what the park does. Today was their day to see what the fisheries department does.

Matt gathered the crowd and explained what we would be doing for the day.

Objective #1 - Get some Brookies for lower Lynn Camp

Objective #2 - Fin clip Brookies for genetic sampling

We split into 3 groups. Group 1 would clip the fins. Group 2 and 3 would shock up the Brookies. As I like to make sure the park gets there moneys worth out of me, I went with Elias, Jeff Wadely, and 2 community volunteers (someone please correct me with the proper name of program) on the higher up section. Matt Kulp headed up team 2, and Steve Moore even came out of retirement to lead team 3.

Elias gathered our group and we grabbed the shocker, nets, gloves, and backpack fish carrier and headed up .4 miles or so to where we walked down to the stream. It was a pretty tight section of stream and was even small for my standards. Think a 3 foot rod might be the perfect size for this stream.

Here if Jeff playing bucket boy while Elias hands off a fish

After we collected 26 fish we hit the last spot to hike out before the stream left the trail. I had the job of running the fish down to Steve Moore.

Here Steve Moore shows the difference between the male and female Brookies

And a fin clip for genetic testing. Steve let the volunteer do this one

Then its put into a vial

After quickly shooting a few shots of the Fin Clipping, I quickly headed back for some more fish. When I left Elias he told me to have Steve radio him, but when I got to Steve he said something about the radio battery so I just headed back the way I left. One I hit the off trail portion I was starting to get pretty tired and overheated. I had no idea if the trail crossed the creek further up and hoped they didn't exit another way but eventually the boot prints got fresher and Elias replied to my calls. When I met up with them they had run out of distribution (ie no more fish) so while our collection of 65 Brookies were less than the 100 Matt had asked for, it was time to head back. Elias carried the fish out the second time and I took out the shocker. Those new shockers are so much lighter and more comfortable than the gas ones from a few years ago which makes it much easier getting them around off-trail.

The Brookies went from holding cages in the stream into the fisheries truck to be transported to Lynn Camp.

Hiking is for suckers, this is how you do Lynn Camp in style

Matt puts the fish into bags for stocking

Last edited by duckypaddler; 05-06-2014 at 10:16 PM..
Old 05-06-2014, 10:13 PM

Talking

Bag of Brookies

Filling the bags up

I always wondered why the horse reinforcing on the bridge was that wide. Now I know

Out of the 161 fish we shocked up, we only lost one. Another one was a little iffy but may have recovered. 159 survived which I thought was pretty impressive, and a testament to how careful the fisheries department are when handling fish.

We rode up and Matt dropped off coolers in 3 spots where we would be distributing the fish. My stop was first. Matt helped my carry the cooler down to the river and left me to release 50+ fish

I set the bags in an eddy to temperature acclimate before releasing

New Home sweet home. I put them in 6 different pools. Here is one of them

And an underwater shot of a new resident

Great Day in the park with great people

Can't wait to volunteer again

And I can't wait to fish this with some of you in the near future
Old 05-07-2014, 04:54 AM

Great post Ducky , park staff and volunteers work hard every day to keep the park
running. Those of us who are fortunate to live here take pride in what we bave with the park and
when you get personally iinvolved with these projects that feeling triples your appreciation.

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Last edited by bigsur; 05-07-2014 at 01:02 PM..
Old 05-07-2014, 06:22 AM

Wow Ducky! This post is just like being there with you . I learned alot. As always, your words and pictures are woven into a fabric that tells the story of your day so well. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2014, 07:06 AM

Excellent editorial and pictorial! I enjoyed reading about this event! Good job on handling the trout!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-07-2014, 12:58 PM

" It was a pretty tight section of stream and was even small for my standards. Think a 3 foot rod might be the perfect size for this stream."

Ducky laughed at your description above, the stream (which will remain naneless ), we talked about at Troutfest is even smaller. That is why I said a 4ft pink Barbie rod would be perfect for it. I should have cut my 12ft Tenkara into thirds to truly work it.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:26 PM

Thanks to all you guys for the work you do. Especially volunteer work.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:00 PM

Great to see a lot of volunteers there to help on a great project.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:53 AM

"A few of them TRUE Cocke County Natives made the move to Blount County today and are now residing in Lower Lynn Camp"

Not sure if anyone caught Ducky's quote of new brookies source of origin, if you are from around here you surely know anything raised in Cocke county is born standing up, can spit nails, and shoot fire. It will be years before we will ever be able to catch any of these brookies. Hey that may be the point!

Old 05-15-2014, 10:38 AM

Awesome post, Ducky. Thank you for all your sweat equity invested in the cause.
JF