Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-13-2014, 05:10 PM

Default Tiny Brown from the Caney

Could this little brown be streamborne? I didn't think TWRA stocked any thing this small in the Caney.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:54 PM

Don't they stock fingerlings?
Old 05-13-2014, 09:09 PM

Stocker.

If you look at his tail it's worn just slightly which indicates he spent his early life in a hatchery run

However I would think there is plenty of reproduction on the caney just like there is on the clinch. The clinch reproduction is really under appreciated and sadly twra doesn't want to admit it exists. Right now like every year the log jams and near shore eddies are full of rainbow fry from natural reproduction
Old 05-13-2014, 10:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

Wild browns almost always have a very noticeable distinct blue dot behind their eyes
Old 05-14-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Stocker.

If you look at his tail it's worn just slightly which indicates he spent his early life in a hatchery run

However I would think there is plenty of reproduction on the caney just like there is on the clinch. The clinch reproduction is really under appreciated and sadly twra doesn't want to admit it exists. Right now like every year the log jams and near shore eddies are full of rainbow fry from natural reproduction

Agree Jim! I see small brown trout fry often on the Clinch in the areas you mention. Had to catch a few to make sure they were not minnows. My understanding in regards to the TWRA's stance on browns reproducing is that they acknowledge they reproduce. However; they do not reproduce successfully enough to maintain the take and attrition of them from the river. I am glad they have stocked the Clinch with some fresh browns lately. They look very healthy and I hope they grow up to be legends. The river needs a few more river monsters after fish mongers have thinned their numbers over the years.

I would love to see:
  1. protection areas for browns in the winter months or
  2. harvest limits on browns 1-2 as part of daily take
  3. no fishing zone within 100 yards of the clear creek bridge & mark with a buoy in the channel (during spawning season).
  4. ban the aluminum and specialty fishing hooks on the river. Raw steel hooks only! I find too many trout with those colored aluminum hooks hung in their throats.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 05-14-2014 at 07:12 AM..
Old 05-14-2014, 07:29 AM

I've argued the reproduction for years on the Caney, TWRA says the PH isn't conductive for reproduction
Over the years i have seen fingerling(pinky size) rainbow & browns in certain areas of the Caney so i know it happens.
The slot limit seems to be working, it would work better if there was more enforcement, which altogether is another topic.
I'm surprised one has not been implemented on the Clinch, it deserves one.

Grumpy
Old 05-14-2014, 06:12 PM

The Clinch has had a slot for several years now
Old 05-14-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
And it is probably enforced less than any other tail water in the state. There's probably 100 poachers for every guide or angler that honors the Clinch slot.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
And it is probably enforced less than any other tail water in the state. There's probably 100 poachers for every guide or angler that honors the Clinch slot.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyraccoon View Post

It's even hard to use the word enforcement, that would imply that anyone from TWRA actually checked a fisherman since the slot was implemented. Honestly, it's pathetic the lack of a presence TWRA has on the Clinch.