Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 02-20-2014, 03:06 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
Thanks guys. I have an old pair of felts (probably a couple) but wanting to do my bit to fight didymo, I went for Vibram several years ago. For Christmas this year I got a pair of Simms Vapor, the new lightweight hiking boot style, and those are the ones I'm considering for spikes or cleats.
My older pair of Vibram w/o spikes will be fine for the Caney - anything works there.
I guess my most frequent falls are on angled slabs. Got a bad dislocated shoulder at Cataloochee a few years ago when my feet slid forward and I sat heavily backwards. Then again I had a pretty bad fall last year at Cataloochee (is there a pattern here?) when my toe missed its grip stepping up to the bank and I went down on one knee, hard.
Seems to me that the aluminum cleats that Silver suggested may be the most effective for my situation. We will see...

steve
One thing to consider is cleats may not work well with the lightweight boots. That's the whole reason I have avoided them myself. I had cleats on my Chota wading shoes (not that lightweight) that I walked 3/4 mile to go retrieve my wife's car (granted it was mostly pavement) where she was not able to get up the hill in my neighborhood a few weeks back. Just in that 3/4 mile it was enough to bruise the bottoms of my feet that were sore for the next week. If you want to super heavy boot as Breck suggested this would probably (with thicker sole) less or not an issue, but with anything lightweight I would be wary. Also with a little common sense the felt is no more of an issue than your Vibram or anything else we have that contacts the water.

Only 3 falls in 2 years without felt - I think your doing great
Old 02-20-2014, 05:01 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post

Only 3 falls in 2 years without felt - I think your doing great
Those are just the ones that resulted in injuries!

steve
Old 05-15-2014, 02:55 PM

I have a pair of Simms with Vibram soles, they seemed okay at first with nothing on them. But as slim goes I needed help, the aluminum bits worked on some rocks in some areas but not others. I added carbide between the aluminum, the Carbide seems to hold on some rocks the aluminum does't and vise a versa too. So now i have 50/50 blend of both. Seems to work for me, for now.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:37 PM

I just put Alumabites on my boots this morning, in anticipation of South Holston and Watauga next week. They're pretty impressive; hope they grip as good as they look.

steve