Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-05-2014, 11:51 AM

Default Little River Chapter Trout Unlimited cleanup 5-2-14

Saturday, May 2. 2014 was our annual Little River Chapter of Trout Unlimited litter pickup day of the Great Smokies National Park. The weather was perfect as we met at Metcalf Bottoms at 9 A.M to receive instructions from Matt Kulp, fishery biologist and Steve Moore's replacement with the park. Many on this forum know Matt from his years of service with the park and working with the recently retired Steve Moore.

Here we are getting our plan of the day from Matt

We had about 30 people show up to help pick up litter in the park and along the roadside

Another shot of Matt explaining how even with orange vests and litter grabbers we would not be allowed to arrest litter bugs!

Another perk riding in the offical park trucks as we transported people and trash along the road.

As some of you know, you will not starve at a TU event, after picking up litter we washed up and started the cookout at noon. Burgers, dogs, brats, and more!

A special treat this year was double dutch oven specials.

A big pot of slow cooked sausage and beans. hmmm.....hmmm

The lid coming off a hot peach cobbler...oh my!!!

A special thanks to Burt and Mike for feeding the hungry crew!

Everyone just chillin after a big day of service and lunch in the park.

In the afternoon a few of us went our own way and fished the day away on one of the prettiest days in the park this year. As always big fun with the Little River TU chapter I encourage everyone to get involved with your local TU chapters. I learn something at every event and always meet for either the first time or reconnect with chapter members or volunteeers at our events, thanks to all who were able to make it this year!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 05-05-2014, 01:56 PM

BigSur,
Thank you for posting the photos. I really enjoyed meeting everyone. The weather was beautiful and My god that cobbler was the best that I have ever tasted.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:17 PM

Ditto on the cobbler! The only thing missing was a second pot of it!
Old 05-05-2014, 02:25 PM

One more note: As one of the cooks, I felt that collectively the whole group was lousy tippers! Everyone who came through the food line I asked "Got any tips on where I can go catch a lot of fish around here?". Everyone of them said "Nope" ;-)
Old 05-05-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead8 View Post
One more note: As one of the cooks, I felt that collectively the whole group was lousy tippers! Everyone who came through the food line I asked "Got any tips on where I can go catch a lot of fish around here?". Everyone of them said "Nope" ;-)
Thunderhead,
After the cookout, Brian and I made a quick stop at LRO, then headed up to Elkmont. arriving about 3 pm. We did did not have much luck until the sun dipped below the ridge then it was like someone turned on the faucet. trout were rising everywhere. I was using a light colored Elk hair with a nymph dropper. Brian, Who was upstream from me was using a light cahill parachute with a copper john dropper. He was having even more luck then me. and we really were not far up stream from the bridge by the parking lot.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Thunderhead,
After the cookout, Brian and I made a quick stop at LRO, then headed up to Elkmont. arriving about 3 pm. We did did not have much luck until the sun dipped below the ridge then it was like someone turned on the faucet. trout were rising everywhere. I was using a light colored Elk hair with a nymph dropper. Brian, Who was upstream from me was using a light cahill parachute with a copper john dropper. He was having even more luck then me. and we really were not far up stream from the bridge by the parking lot.
Thanks Kris! You are a great tipper! I love that stream . Sounds like you hit it at the perfect time.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:54 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Brian, Who was upstream from me was using a light cahill parachute with a copper john dropper. He was having even more luck then me.

Think the guy Upstream ALWAYS has more luck

Might want to focus less on the pattern and more on beating your buddy upstream
Old 05-22-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post

Ducky,
I would agree with you this. Brian and I have a system when we fish together we usually play a game of leapfrog. The downstream guy bypasses the upstream guy and moves on to the next "hole" and so and so on..
Old 05-27-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead8 View Post
Hey I was ready to propose to the peach cobbler cook, but he said he as taken!

It was a fun event. Big sir got rowdy so we made him ride in the bed of the truck.

Nice meeting all of you!
Brian
Old 05-27-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post

Well you sure didn't have to tell Kris that!
Brian