Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 05-18-2014, 12:29 PM

Post Good Morning All

I am still new to fly fishing after a few years. I took the beginner day 1 class a few years ago. I probably should have taken day two also. Fast forward a few years, my boys are interested in learning and I find myself much more interested too. In a few times out, I have managed to catch two trout in the smokies. I have a lot to learn. We signed up for both days of the beginner class this time around. Looking forward to meeting folks here and learning how to catch fish in the smokies and maybe even tailwaters on a fly.
Mike
Old 05-18-2014, 04:56 PM

Mike, Glad you're here! I think taking the 2 day class with your boys is a great idea on many fronts. I wish I could tell you that I am an accomplished angler after 7 years. I am not, but I get better all the time. The great thing about this sport (especially if you do it with your sons) is that while you are learning together, you are spending quality time in about the most beautiful place you could possibly be, and making memories with your sons that they will continue with theirs. Just keep learning and enjoying the journey with the knowledge that you never really get there. The very best of us get humbled all of the time. If you aren't in Trout Unlimited, join up. It is a bunch of good folks who have similar interests to yours.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:41 PM

Thumbs up Thanks

Thank you for the welcome and advice. We really enjoy visiting the smokies. Adding fly fishing is another item to add to our list of reasons to appreciate being near the park.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:40 PM

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good stuff here. Enjoy.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:37 PM

Welcome to the Fourm. You can't take fly fishing to serious, its learn learn learn. Then you learn something new about the sport.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:49 PM

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome messages. Hopefully there will be fewer times that I fish in the park and get completely skunked. I am looking forward to having someone show me in person the things I have been reading about online and in books.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:20 PM

Welcome to the forum and to fly fishing. This forum is a great place for advice. I started fly fishing when I was about 16 (40'ish now) and I learn something new about the sport all the time.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:22 AM

Mike,
The best fly fishermen learn by listening and being open to learning! Think like the fish and float like the fly and you are there...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-04-2014, 09:56 AM

Thumbs up Thanks

Shawn,

That sounds like wise council! When I took the beginner class last weekend, Walter Babb said something similar: watch the fish, be patient and they will teach you how to catch them. I take that to mean pay attention to what you see on the water and in the water, watch the bugs, see the natural nymphs, hatching bugs, and be patient to see how the fish live and eat.

Mike
Old 06-05-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNflyfishing View Post
Shawn,

That sounds like wise council! When I took the beginner class last weekend, Walter Babb said something similar: watch the fish, be patient and they will teach you how to catch them. I take that to mean pay attention to what you see on the water and in the water, watch the bugs, see the natural nymphs, hatching bugs, and be patient to see how the fish live and eat.

Mike
Mike,
Sounds like you already have your learning cap on. I have found that I progress the best when I am relaxed and feeling connected with the river. Focus on letting your worries be gone for the time on the water and give yourself some fly fishing time. Learn to feel each step and watch the impact of your actions on the water and fish. Again, think like the fish and imagine how your fly is presenting to them at each cast. Good luck and be safe buddy!
to choose, to respond, to change.”