Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 06-03-2014, 01:20 PM

Default Best Smokies Trip So Far! 6/2/14

My boys and I headed for our fourth backcountry trip. Unlike our past trips, the weather was perfect, water levels were great, and the fish were cooperative. We got to the trailhead nice and early and hiked up to the campsite. Now that my boys are big and surly, they allowed me to go off and fish while they set up the camp. Unlike past years, I felt perfectly safe to leave them alone at the camp since they are now bigger (and significantly meaner) than I am.

This was from our first backcountry trip ever in 2011 (it was 26 degrees that night, brrr)

This is from yesterday

The campsite had lots of bear claw marks

I set up with a neversink caddis with the pink weenie dropper and immediately hooked into a nice rainbow.

This is the hole I got him in

My next one was nicely colored brook

Finally got one on the dry! Only three on the dry for the day.

Got a lot of nice brookies like this one

While most of the fish were caught with the pink weenie, I switched up to a BH flashback PT and got two before I switched back.

Water was perfect!

Last one of the day

From this hole

I feel incredibly blessed to be able to go camping with my boys. It was wonderful to be fishing in the Smokies. I have not had much luck in the past and many of you have mentioned the learning curve. While I still miss a ton of strikes, I had my best day ever fishing wise in the GSMNP and had even a better time spending time with my sons. I love the camping and fishing in the Smokies. There is a special something here that I do not get anywhere else. Can't wait for our fifth annual trip.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:28 PM

Post Good Report

Thanks for sharing! This makes me think I should take my boys camping before they graduate and leave home.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:57 PM

What an awesome trip!!! I recognize that stream, wad there last month and the fishing was slow, glad you had a good trip.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish4wildtrout View Post
What an awesome trip!!! I recognize that stream, wad there last month and the fishing was slow, glad you had a good trip.
You and Rex would have caught tons yesterday. The water was perfect. I only fished around the camp, starting a little bit down before the bridge where the stream splits. The stream looks really nice just a bit up from the trailhead with nice long runs, where browns might lurk. Have you ever fished there? If so how does that fish?
Old 06-03-2014, 06:16 PM

I have fished up both streams from there about a mile or more. Mostly brook trout and Rainbow with Brook being predominanti the further you go. I know there are probably a few Browns up that high but I have never personally
Old 06-03-2014, 09:01 PM

Talking

Awesome

I bet the time between shot 1 & 2 has gone by in a flash.

I agree that there is something about the Smokies that is so special that nowhere else seems fulfill me

Thanks for posting and glad you finally had favorable conditions
Old 06-03-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Awesome

I bet the time between shot 1 & 2 has gone by in a flash.

I agree that there is something about the Smokies that is so special that nowhere else seems fulfill me

Thanks for posting and glad you finally had favorable conditions
Duckypaddler - I enviously read your posts of your many trips to these streams. In one post, you mentioned that the neversink caddis with a pink weenie dropper was your set up 90% of the time here. It was that advice that made me order some of those flies from LRO, and that was the difference for me yesterday, so a big THANK YOU. Yes, they grow fast, fortunately we have been able to make at one camping trip here at least once annually.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:42 PM

Thanks for posting your Smokys fishing trip pictures

Time in the Smokys fishing does fly by.

I will be there soon enough with not enough time to spend there, but it will be worth ever second I am there.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:31 PM

Default Wonderful pics!

Great pics and a great report! Thanks for sharing! I to read your posts with great envy!

Thanks again,
hNt