Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-23-2014, 02:14 PM

Default breakfast

There is a reason I keep my old US Army mess kit, and that is to poach trout. It is flat and shallow, and the water boils quickly. Only gut the fish, and in the water it goes, and when flesh is white it is breakfast. As the fish has to fit in the mess kit, 8" is max, so GSMNP trout fit the bill exactly.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hw3 View Post
There is a reason I keep my old US Army mess kit, and that is to poach trout.
I had to process this one for a couple of seconds. Of course, continuing reading helped as well...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-27-2014, 08:05 PM

This post has gotten interesting. There is great no here. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
there are still some good sized rainbows in some of the bigger water above Elkmont but getting to them and then getting them to take a fly is a challenge...but fun!
Your post has gotten me to break out my map out! I'm new to the GSMNP. And I'm trying to find good water not heavily pressured.
How far up the trail do I have to go to find the bigger water above Elkmont? Towards Goshen prong trl ?
Old 05-28-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_vanfossen View Post
Your post has gotten me to break out my map out! I'm new to the GSMNP. And I'm trying to find good water not heavily pressured.
How far up the trail do I have to go to find the bigger water above Elkmont? Towards Goshen prong trl ?
Best thing to do is to hop in the truck, drive to the trail head, and take off walking. Figuring these things out for yourself is half the fun.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:20 AM

The really big water is just upstream from where the old "turnaround" used to be...now it is one mile beyond the trailhead. At one time you could drive all the way to the forks of the river...3.7 miles above the trailhead...once you pass the turnaround the trail starts to gain elevation and allows you to look down on this "big water"...this section is not for the faint of heart and is not someplace to be during high water periods...huge boulders and long deep pools...once you are in there it is a climb to get out if you don't fish it until it comes back to the trail.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:42 PM

Default Numbers

I posted a thread a few weeks back about "How'd you do." It got very little interest. This one, seems to get more. So, I'll add my $0.02. In 30+ years fishing the park, I've caught one 15-inch brown, one 12-inch brookie, and 20 or so 12-inch browns and rainbows combined. I've probably caught a couple of thousand 5-7 inch trout. So, do the math on that. One out of a two thousand is 15-inches. 0.05%. Twenty out of two thousand 12-inch trout tells me about 1% will be that big. I'm sure my numbers are skewed because I don't fish big fish waters or specifically for big fish, but they might shed some light on things.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
I had to process this one for a couple of seconds. Of course, continuing reading helped as well...
That's awesome! Hahaha.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:07 PM

Good info guys.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:58 PM

Just a heads up the trailhead parking lot will be closed until the 11th of June.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:15 PM

I've been fishing the park, on average about 5-6 days per year for 7 years...maybe 50 days at best. I have caught two 12" browns and two 12" bows. I had one bow on that was around 15" that I swore to everyone on here was 20" (this was before I had ever caught a 20" trout and had no idea what I was talking about). I've seen fish in the park over 20" but they know exactly what is going on and getting them to take a fly is almost impossible.