Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-18-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
I didn't say they were public. I said the landowner must allow access before the TWRA will stock it.
Are you implying that the landowner must provide fisherman access or TWRA access?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:33 PM

The landowners do not have to provide the TWRA or anglers with access, but if they are agreeable to having the TWRA stock the stream then they must agree to allow anglers on the stream. Otherwise tax dollars would be stocking a private stream. If landowners refuse angler access, then the TWRA stops stocking the stream. I can see your issue, but the landowner has pretty much agreed up front that folks will be on the stream that flows through his property. You might wade through several properties. I'm talking about these small streams, not tailwaters.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
The landowners do not have to provide the TWRA or anglers with access, but if they are agreeable to having the TWRA stock the stream then they must agree to allow anglers on the stream. Otherwise tax dollars would be stocking a private stream. If landowners refuse angler access, then the TWRA stops stocking the stream. I can see your issue, but the landowner has pretty much agreed up front that folks will be on the stream that flows through his property. You might wade through several properties. I'm talking about these small streams, not tailwaters.
That is completely false. There is no stocked stream that flows through private land that allows anglers access from the state. You cannot cross private land to wade the clinch without written permission. You cannot cross private land on any of the small put and take waters to fish, and unlike the Clinch small streams cannot be waded through private land holdings.

Trout stocked at a public place (bridge, road sholder, etc)that end up migrating to water that is void of public access cannot be accessed unless the angler gains permission from the landowner to cross their property

In fact on most of our tailwaters you can't walk on dry land if the adjacent property is privately owned. The access stops at the waters edge, not the high water mark. Luckily most landowners don't take issue on the larger rivers.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:17 PM

As I said, I'm not talking about tailwaters, nor am I suggesting you can run amok over someone's property to get to the stream. If you access the stream at a public point like a bridge, you should be ok if you keep to the stream. If you are correct, then my tax dollars are being used to stock private streams at a time when funds are not available to fund hatcheries. My last words on this.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
As I said, I'm not talking about tailwaters, nor am I suggesting you can run amok over someone's property to get to the stream. If you access the stream at a public point like a bridge, you should be ok if you keep to the stream. If you are correct, then my tax dollars are being used to stock private streams at a time when funds are not available to fund hatcheries. My last words on this.
You can absolutely not wade down a non-navigable waterway that flows through private property. There are miles upon miles of stocked creeks that flow through private ground which you cannot freely wade through without permission. Sure in lots of cases landowners may choose to not run you off, but they are well within their rights to run you off or have you ticketed for trespassing.

In addition, not one single penny from the taxes we pay go towards the stocking of trout, ZERO. All of that money is collected through license revenue.

This is something that infuriates me while we are discussing trout stocking. With the all the complaining about lack of funds by TWRA why they choose to waste money throwing fish in every piss trickle that can hold a trout for a few months defies logic. If money is so dang tight, maybe they should focus on waters that can sustain trout populations year round. Bottom line the time has long since passed for TWRA to stop managing our fisheries as if they are a bargain grocery store, and maximize the potential of the resources we are blessed to have in this state.