Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 06-24-2014, 01:48 PM

Question Egg Question

Does anyone around here ever fish egg patterns in the park? If so could anyone give me some basic patterns that produce (I'm a beginner so simple is better )? Also what seasons are they most productive, do you fish them weighted or unweighted, in big holes or pockets, and under a dry or with a nymph or all alone? I've seen pictures of HUGE stocked trout in streams like Paint Creek caught on eggs.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 06-25-2014, 11:02 AM

I keep a few in my box but I don't use them very often in the mtns. I've had success with brookies eating crystal meth eggs in pink or yellow. I also bought a pack of the clown egg mcfly foam, not to tie clown eggs, but just for the color variety. I tried tying them like I've seen in their videos but I thought them to be heavy when wet. Now i just wrap thread to the bend, tie in some mcfly, wrap back up, loosely fold the foam over, tie/whip/trim then fluff it out. Not a perfect sphere, but the holston trout didn't complain this past spring.

I tend to fish them in late fall through spring, weighted in moving water with some sort of indicator, dry fly otherwise.

I'm actually hoping you get more replies, I'm curious to see what the more seasoned dudes have to say

Email Punk

http://lastdrifteffort.blogspot.com
Old 06-25-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77punk View Post
I've had success with brookies eating crystal meth eggs in pink or yellow. I also bought a pack of the clown egg mcfly foam, not to tie clown eggs, but just for the color variety.
I've heard of mcflyfoam and have seen it at my local fly shop. Could you please elaborate on the crystal meth eggs? Also, do you have any idea if these would work for panfish/smallmouth in rivers?

Volfisher
Old 06-25-2014, 01:25 PM

To make a meth egg you need to find some meth, and fish with addictive tendencies...

Its a pretty simple tie actually, one of the first patterns I started with. This page has a few egg patterns for ya to check out

http://www.flycraftangling.com/index...nArticleID=119

I've never tried an egg in warmwater. Not saying it won't work, just never tried it.

Email Punk

http://lastdrifteffort.blogspot.com
Old 06-25-2014, 03:20 PM

Thanks! I found a recipie for the meth egg and it looks simple and effective. I'll have to try some this winter!