Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 06-12-2014, 01:52 PM

Default Daypack ?

I have a fishpond water dance pack that I absolutely love! But, (seems like there is always a but don't it ;p) I would really like to be able to hike into some of the smaller streams of the park. With the knee surgeries I've had in the past I have to keep these hikes small and not pack a lot of stuff. The water dance pack has plenty enough room for me to get by on for a day hike. (Lunch, a snack or 2 and a few water bottles and I'm good). My only problem is my rod and net. I love to take pics of the fish and use a net to hold them while I'm trying to get their pic. If I use my rod tube to carry the rod while I hike in what am I going to do with tube while fishing? I could use a rod sock and simply stow it in my pack while fishing but I'm not real keen on the idea of hiking thru the woods with nothing to protect my rod.

So, I've sort of come up with a solution, but I need some input here. I'm thinking I need a small daypack. Something I can tie my rod tube to, put my net and even my water dance pack in. Then I can hike in and unload water dance pack, net, and rod. Place daypack in water dance pack while fishing. Then reverse everything when hiking out. The only problem is my rod tube. There is no way that I can come up with to attach it to water dance pack. So I may have to hide it in the woods and retrieve it on the way out?

Maybe I'm just way over thinking this but if you guys got any solutions they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
hNt
Old 06-12-2014, 04:01 PM

Talking

I've got the perfect solution

Unless you are doing an overnighter just carry you rod, and since you are on a small stream you won't need a net either

I don't know anyone that carries their rod tube unless they are backpacking
Old 06-12-2014, 05:21 PM

If I know I'm going to walking for a good bit before fishing I'll carry my rod broken down and held together with a rubber band around each end to make it a relatively sturdy little bundle.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:39 PM

Im not sure if I can help, but... Kelty has some nice Daypacks, they have a pocket like sleeve that goes inside the side pocket on their sides for what I use for a rod tube holder on my Redwing 50. But, I think they are for skis. Not sure if this helps but, here is a link to their site. For the Redwing 33

http://www.kelty.com/p-781-redwing-3...gory=backpacks
Old 06-12-2014, 11:01 PM

Whoops, I'm sorry I failed to mention that I've got 2 left feet and I was afraid of falling or just being plain clumsy and breaking my rod before I ever got to the stream. However, I like magoo's idea. The rod sock I mentioned earlier protects the rod but it doesn't hold it all together like a couple of rubber bands will. I'm not sure if I can explain it on here or not but I can see where the rubber bands would definitely make a more sturdy package. I think that pretty well solves my problem.

Thanks guys,
hNt

PS I guess I was just over thinking my "problem" which means I really need to quit thinking and just go fishing!

Last edited by hungNtree; 06-12-2014 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-13-2014, 08:27 AM

I usually carry my rod assembled, but if its a long hike, I keep it in its sock, lashed to the side of my pack.
I carry a camelback backpack, because you can easily slide a net down the water bladder sleeve, with the handle sticking up for easy access.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:12 PM

I have an inexpensive suggestion. I was at wal-mart a month ago and saw a nice little pack for 30-40 dollars. it is an Outdoor products brand. It is a nice pack for the day hiker/ fly fisherman. I can loop the net to it on the back of the neck. It will fit a medium to small net inside. It has 2 mesh water bottle pockets (one on either side). Very comfortable to wear all day. As far as your rod, if it is in a case I am sure you could get figure away to strap it on. I have a rod case and I think if i wanted to I could strap it on fairly easily.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:48 PM

Keep your pack. Carry your rod. Ditch the water bottles and carry a Sawyer Mini. You'll find that you drink more water when there is an unlimited supply at hand. Pack weighs less also.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:38 PM

Lots of good suggestions on here...

I don't think there really is a "one size fits all" response to this question. Depending on time of year, weather, and hiking distance I will do some combination of the following:

1. Always ditch my Fishpond Dragonfly in favor of the much smaller San Juan chest pack in the mountains. If I want to go ultralight, then I leave the San Juan behind and just put the basics in my shirt and pants pockets.
2. If it is summer and I am only going a mile or so up the trail I will carry my rod in hand and clip a water bottle to a belt loop using a carabiner.
3. If it is spring or fall, or I am going more than 2 miles, or expect to be out for a long day I will pack my rod along with a rain jacket, water, snacks, warm clothes (if necessary), and a small first aid kit in either my 15L or 24L daypack.

This is what has worked for me. I fished with my Fishpond Dragonfly for years in the manner you are talking about, but found it quite uncomfortable to wear for long distances when loaded up with food, water, gear, etc.

Just my $0.02...

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 06-28-2014, 09:26 AM

I use what I think you are looking for. The fishpond tundra tech. The chest pack snaps into the backpack (which has two rod holders) and unsnaps when you are ready to use just the chest pack. I will admit though, I have rarely actually used the whole set up. Here's a link: http://www.fishpondusa.com/tundra-tech-pack.cfm
I bought mine at LRO as well.