Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-15-2014, 10:15 AM

I love reading these kinds of posts...it is amazing that there are so many different types of tackle and flies that have been adopted as favorites for fishing the same kind of water. I have used it all...bamboo, fiberglas, graphite and even a cane pole and have had success with them all. The water can in some ways dictate the tackle. All around my favorite is an 8'4" Helios 3wt on the lower, bigger water. For the blue lines and cricks I just cannot give up my old Orvis one ounce 2wt...they each have their place and time. Flies are totally different...I began fishing with a Ginger Quill dry fly because that is what my grandfather told me to use. Now my old eyes demand something white to be visible. My two go to dries now are either a para adams or an EHC...wet I still enjoy pure wet flies vs. nymphs...best fly I have found for the Smokies is the old Leadwing Coachman...also love chunking large parachute Madam Xs in the fall when the fish seem to be looking up for "big" food getting ready for winter...
Old 07-15-2014, 12:12 PM

I use an 8 foot 4 weight Scott matched to a Galvan reel...love it for the mountains. I can fling a fly as far as I want or need to with that setup. I'll fish a #14 caddis most of the time if I'm also dropping a nymph (usually bh prince) but it's hard to beat a #14 or #16 parachute adams in you're fishing a dry fly solo.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:59 AM

Spring creek'n a 4wt 8'. Bigger streams/river 6wt 9'.