Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

View Poll Results: Do you think the "Rocky Top" Venture will affect the Clinch River?
Yes, I think the river will suffer immensely from this project. 7 46.67%
I am not sure how it will affect the river. 5 33.33%
I could care less how it affects the river. 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2014, 10:36 AM

Thank you Shawn for your kind reply.

You and Jim contribute much more to this message board than I do. I was hoping that I didn't offend you guys. I, and a lot of other people, look forward to the valuable information you both have to offer. In my opinion, you two are experts in our sport. And, you are both very passionate about conservation, something very important, in which we all need to be better activists.

I was really worried I upset you guys. I feel a lot better now.

Thanks,

Byron
Old 07-16-2014, 10:08 AM

Waterwolf, sorry, I haven't been here much lately and missed your question.

It was several years back, when I first bought my canoe. I paddled up coal creek a bit just to see what i could see. There was a bit of an oil slick coming from upstream, though the sheen was very light. I don't know if its a reoccurring deal as I don't go that way very often

Email Punk

http://lastdrifteffort.blogspot.com
Old 07-16-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77punk View Post

It was several years back, when I first bought my canoe. I paddled up coal creek a bit just to see what i could see. There was a bit of an oil slick coming from upstream, though the sheen was very light. I don't know if its a reoccurring deal as I don't go that way very often
77punk,
Next time you paddle up that creek; notice the lack of bugs, insects, and fish...

Note: it is a warm water creek, so there are mostly hardy/resilient fish in that area as well. Of-course; there are the 100-200 school of carp always at the mouth and the 2-3 schools of striper that patrol right behind them...and the a few muskies up in the creek. However; you will notice the creek is almost always very clear with limited activity after the first 100 feet or so...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-16-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77punk View Post

A lot of that could easily come from I 75, it funnels right in the creek a mile or so above the river.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
77punk,
Next time you paddle up that creek; notice the lack of bugs, insects, and fish...

Note: it is a warm water creek, so there are mostly hardy/resilient fish in that area as well. Of-course; there are the 100-200 school of carp always at the mouth and the 2-3 schools of striper that patrol right behind them...and the a few muskies up in the creek. However; you will notice the creek is almost always very clear with limited activity after the first 100 feet or so...
I gotta disagree on the fish in Coal Creek. I grew up wading coal creek in the summers and have fished it as recently as 2 years ago all the way into lake city. It is full of smallmouth, redeye, and bream. None of those species could survive without good insect populations, and the bigger indicator species is crayfish which are plentiful.

Painting Coal Creek as a toxic waste land is not accurate, sure it dumps mud after heavy rains but what doesn't?
Old 07-17-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
A lot of that could easily come from I 75, it funnels right in the creek a mile or so above the river.

I gotta disagree on the fish in Coal Creek. I grew up wading coal creek in the summers and have fished it as recently as 2 years ago all the way into lake city. It is full of smallmouth, redeye, and bream. None of those species could survive without good insect populations, and the bigger indicator species is crayfish which are plentiful.

Painting Coal Creek as a toxic waste land is not accurate, sure it dumps mud after heavy rains but what doesn't?
Jim,
I have caught smallmouth and some bream in there as well. I actually landed a smallmouth on a fly once at the mouth of Coal Creek. I have noticed good populations of minnows and a few fish I could not identify.

I am not trying to disparage Coal Creek. I want to bring the point up that I personally feel it could use some attention. I think it could use some political attention and be utilized as prideful asset to our area. Right now; it is unsettling when you drive along bluff road.

I will try and add some pictures from my last walk up the creek to add some clarity. Thank you for your input. I respect your comments, passion, and knowledge of the area and its impact on our natural resources.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Jim,
I have caught smallmouth and some bream in there as well. I actually landed a smallmouth on a fly once at the mouth of Coal Creek. I have noticed good populations of minnows and a few fish I could not identify.

I am not trying to disparage Coal Creek. I want to bring the point up that I personally feel it could use some attention. I think it could use some political attention and be utilized as prideful asset to our area. Right now; it is unsettling when you drive along bluff road.

I will try and add some pictures from my last walk up the creek to add some clarity. Thank you for your input. I respect your comments, passion, and knowledge of the area and its impact on our natural resources.
In the same breath, I'm not trying to paint Coal Creek up as some pristine jewel of East TN. The trash in the stream along the road you mention is pathetic, and should be addressed. Also the creek could use some bank stabilization work through town.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:30 AM

Default Rocky Top's first product: The Clinch River Milkshake

If anyone tried to fish PO last Saturday [09/06/2014]; they were in for a big surprise. There has been some construction projects going on in Rocky Top/L.C. and they gave off a little present for the river. I sure hope those contractors are following stream/water protection methods.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:34 AM

For as long as I've been fishing the Clinch which is pushing 30 years now, it always turns that color after heavy rains in either Cane Creek or Coal Creek. This is nothing new and most seasoned clinch fisherman relish the days of mud water to wreak havoc on the trout which can be tough on the normally gin clear water days.

There is no ill affects of the water getting muddy as 2 generator flows purge the majority of the lingering silt.

I'd love to see the East TN river that doesn't get muddy following heavy rain events, after a lifetime of fishing this area I've yet to find one.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
For as long as I've been fishing the Clinch which is pushing 30 years now, it always turns that color after heavy rains in either Cane Creek or Coal Creek. This is nothing new and most seasoned clinch fisherman relish the days of mud water to wreak havoc on the trout which can be tough on the normally gin clear water days.

There is no ill affects of the water getting muddy as 2 generator flows purge the majority of the lingering silt.

I'd love to see the East TN river that doesn't get muddy following heavy rain events, after a lifetime of fishing this area I've yet to find one.
Jim,
I agree that the creek bleeds mud with the onset of heavy rains in the Coal Creek Watershed. However; the runoff from this past Saturday was probably the thickest I have witnessed in a decade or so....I feel it coincides with current construction runoff from RT. I would just like to feel confident typical environmental mitigation measures are taking place with current and future RT construction projects.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:34 AM

Have they started the construction of this yet? I haven't seen where any large parcels of land have transferred around Rocky Top and have presumed it hasn't been started.