Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-21-2014, 11:09 AM

Default My smallest park fish of the year (sibtitle-oh how the mighty have fallen

So with all the rain last week, and a lot of posts about fly tying but no fishing posts I felt compelled to go to the Smokies Sunday. Now I had fished Thursday night thru Saturday night in the rain after work, even broke out the spinner for the first time in maybe a year at the weir dam on the Clinch. I had two reasons I wanted to see how fast the water dropped after the flow was cut at the weir and I wanted to test an Orvis Encounter ($100 model) rain jacket that I had got this spring. I think the jacket rocks for the money, I am talking three straight hours in the rain one night, at times at biblical level and stayed dry. I also have a Frog Togg setup the jacket alone was the $70 model marked down to $60 when I got it, and pants brought it to $100. No comparsion on jacket, the Frogg Togg does not breathe and is not 100% water proof, my two cents have Daniel order you the Orvis! As far as the water flow at the Clinch, the grates start to appear about an 1 1/2 hours after a two generator flow at the weir, rain may have added some additional time those nights but that was the average time, I caught one to three fish each night, so still had fun in the rain. Oh and no crowds!

Sunday I read Byron's report and headed up about mid-afternoon waiting for the splashers to go home. Byron's report was spot on, overcast and the water flow was perfect, compared to last week when the water was at best called skinny, and the tubers were showing up in places I had never seen before trying to catch a float. I am sure the rain nixed a lot of peoples weekend but sure lowered the numbers in the park so no complaints here.

The sun came out about 3PM and in the first shot you can see how clear the water was, and yes that is fog rising of the cold water when the sun hit.

I had on a Sally with prince nymph which I have been having decent luck with lately, if you blow up the page to about 400X you can see a LRO Sally about a foot above the prince this little bow had grabbed.

The second bow was about 7-8 inches and was a little porker! I had taken off the Sally and was using just a prince nymph set up at that point.

Now it was about 5:30 and you could see the clouds building up so I left the upper Little River road and headed down to a little never-fail hole (most of the time) I tied on a soft hackle that I use in the mountains or river and started casting.

Some of you may have seen a post I shamelesly put up a couple weeks back about my largest park fish to date this year which was about a 15 inch brown on my 2 wt with 6x tippet. which is my mountain rig that I love and use all the time.

Uhhh... same rig diffrent result yesterday, now I am the most honest fisherman you will meet I will tell you my big fish, little fish, bad days, and good days. I will even tell you exactly where I fish! (O.K. now that is a lie. )

Now I am casting; it is the end of the day, storm on the horizon, I feel a slight hit, but as I have said in other posts on a two weight with 6x when the drift ends it can feel like a hit so I gave it no thought. I pull back on a back cast and as it sails over my head I think in a split second as the fly goes by " I don't have on a streamer?" That's when I realize to my horror I have just launched a fish about a hundred miles an hour behind me!

In my head I hear two fish in the pool talking " Hey Larry, look a flying fish! Larry... on my god it's Larry! I reel her in and that is it in the picture below with about a size 16 soft hackle in her jaw. How she grabbed it, hung on and seemd to recover when I released her I wil never know. I call her Linda Lovelace!

So in matter of a couple of weeks I went from my biggest fish to my smallest park fish of the year! Right after a stop in Metcalf for the traditional buring of the cigar and beverage a strom broke out that can only be described as a gully washer! Water swept the road and mud flowed off driveways on the way out but at the Knoxville limits nothing was weird like a Missiassippi tsunami on a hot summer day if you have ever seen that!

Also in honor of Ducky who always gives me a hard time about not posting pictures, below is a shot for him.
"Ducky I think you call this a flower!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Last edited by bigsur; 07-21-2014 at 02:21 PM..
Old 07-21-2014, 11:59 AM

Yeah, those little Warpaint shiners can be pretty aggressive. I caught quite a few of them when I first started fishing because I could see them attacking my fly and thought, "Oh boy, a fish!" So I'd keep casting to them until one of them finally grabbed the hook instead of feathers. It didn't take long to figure out the difference between a trout and a shiner showing interest in your fly. Now, if I start attracting shiners I just move on to the next hole because Warpaints don't seem to hang around where there are any trout that might eat them.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:09 PM

Big Sur, I must have just missed you. Got on the water at April Pool and fished about twenty minutes before the rain came. Managed one real nice rainbow on a BWO. I drove up to Millsaps and waited about 30 minutes but the rain only got harder. Called it a day. It was nice to see the river with a nice flow.

God Bless,
Dances with Trout
Old 07-22-2014, 07:50 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
"Ducky I think you call this a flower!"

If you look at the center of the next photo, this is what I call a Flower

Thanks for posting. I've personally haven't gone this long without fishing in a LONG time
Old 07-22-2014, 09:50 AM

Glad to hear from you I thought maybe you were just kayaking lately and letting the brookies enjoy their summer. The picture is from an annual trip where I take senior citizens out in the woods and leave them, you can tell in the picture they do not know it yet!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 07-22-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
Glad to hear from you I thought maybe you were just kayaking lately and letting the brookies enjoy their summer. The picture is from an annual trip where I take senior citizens out in the woods and leave them, you can tell in the picture they do not know it yet!
Not sure where this went from a fishing report to a tome about losing me and my comrads-in-rods in the woods, but the group of us will testify that upon Bigsur leaving us in the woods and departing, we all hightailed it back to camp, cooked dinner, did the dishes and kicked back by the campfire to watch the stars. Bigsur staggered back to camp around midnight, still disoriented and mumbling about moss growing on the south side of the tree.
Just sayin'