Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-22-2014, 01:24 PM

Default Carp on the fly...anyone want to get some tight lines with me?

Whats up everyone.

I just read about the Carp Cup from 3 rivers anglers and want to participate in it this year--gonna get my brother to come up from ATL to join me. Problem is that neither of us have really fished for carp. So I'm going to get my 8 wt rigged up and try to start hitting some spots to learn the sport before the tournament.

I know of one or two places around here and wanted to see if anyone else is interested in going out to hit the rivers and get some practice. I have a boat but its got some issues with the engine right now so I'll probably be wading for the time being.

Let me know if anyone is interested. Cheers!

-Andrew
Old 07-22-2014, 06:12 PM

Unless the rules have changed you would be better off perfecting your bread flies and fish where all the other contestants do.....Calhouns.

It was a cool idea before they opened up the tame carp to being qualifiers. Now it's kind of dumb if you allow bread eaters to be scored.

I remember many of the new avid carp guys scoffing at us back in the early 90's when we were targeting carp on a fly. Funny how things change
Old 07-22-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Unless the rules have changed you would be better off perfecting your bread flies and fish where all the other contestants do.....Calhouns.

It was a cool idea before they opened up the tame carp to being qualifiers. Now it's kind of dumb if you allow bread eaters to be scored.

I remember many of the new avid carp guys scoffing at us back in the early 90's when we were targeting carp on a fly. Funny how things change
Yeah, thats the one place I've caught a carp (yup....using bread flies). Thing is, I'm pretty sure we don't have a chance at winning this thing anyhow, so I'm just looking to learn how to target and catch these guys legitimately. I picked up some crawfish patterns and am planning on heading to 7 islands one day after work this week. Any tips you care to throw my way before I head out there? Thanks!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_phishing View Post
Yeah, thats the one place I've caught a carp (yup....using bread flies). Thing is, I'm pretty sure we don't have a chance at winning this thing anyhow, so I'm just looking to learn how to target and catch these guys legitimately. I picked up some crawfish patterns and am planning on heading to 7 islands one day after work this week. Any tips you care to throw my way before I head out there? Thanks!

I fish white colored flies, mainly so I can see them. I like something smallish like a size 8 with a rabbit strip as well. When I locate an actively feeding fish the best approach is from upstream, I strip the fly past it's nose and as soon as it reacts I stop stripping which allows the fish to suck the fly in.

I've got no issues with the Calhouns game, heck we invented it eons ago and it's spread in popularity.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
I fish white colored flies, mainly so I can see them. I like something smallish like a size 8 with a rabbit strip as well. When I locate an actively feeding fish the best approach is from upstream, I strip the fly past it's nose and as soon as it reacts I stop stripping which allows the fish to suck the fly in.

I've got no issues with the Calhouns game, heck we invented it eons ago and it's spread in popularity.
Thanks for the tips! I'll post an update after I head up there (prob Thurs night).
Old 07-22-2014, 09:00 PM

One thing that is tough when you're first getting going is distinguishing carp from all the other carp like fish in the river. There's a million buffalo and red horse that are almost impossible to catch because they're vegetarians. Carp usually look a certain way and only experience will help you quickly pick them out.

Good luck and bring back pics