Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-25-2014, 11:13 AM

Default Suggestions or help?

A young man from our Church is planning to attend Lee College in Cleveland, TN and is interested in learning to fly fish. Can anyone make any suggestions for around that or the surrounding area and does anyone here fish that area, that would be willing to hook up with a newbie to try and help out?

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 07-25-2014, 12:38 PM

That area has a lot to offer. For larger rivers there is the Hiwassee just down the road which can be okay, and for smaller stuff Cherokee National Forest is relatively close as well.

The Hiwassee fish historically have been some of the easiest tail water fish to catch, and will generally eat any normal fly patterns.

I don't frequent that area too much but there are plenty of places to get started fly fishing down that way.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:53 PM

If I'm not mistaking, Lee College has a fly fishing class, or club.

Breck knows more about it, maybe he'll see this post.

The Hiwassee is a great place for a beginner as the fish are the easiest to catch of all those in Tennessee tailwaters. The trade off is the fish are also the smallest on average. Very few fish holdover but the state will occasionally stock a few larger fish.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:32 PM

Orvis has a fly fishing 101 class for free. But I don't know where or when they are.

Here is a link to a pay school at Orvis.
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.a...ubcat_id=27373
Old 07-25-2014, 04:34 PM

Here is "free" lessons from Orvis too online. Its pretty good over all on what they teach you here. But there is nothing like being outside doing it.

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/
Old 07-25-2014, 09:20 PM

Pmike,

See the message I sent you on South East Fly Fishing Forum. Your guy will be in great hands. Email me and I'll make sure the young man gets off and running with the right guy!!!

breckdavis100@gmail.com
Old 07-25-2014, 11:15 PM

Default thank

Thanks so much for each of you replies. Breck, I will check it,thanks. It might take a day or so for me to get back to folks, I have got a wedding to officiate tomorrow.
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton