Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 07-31-2014, 06:07 PM

Default Foam Yellow Sally

I was wondering if anyone has tried using yellow foam for the body of a Yellow Sally? If you have, Do the trout like them?
Old 08-01-2014, 08:45 AM

Talking

I've used the Doculator from Orvis with the wrapped body http://www.orvis.com/p/the-doculator/09a2 and did not like the way it sits on the water. The neversink is your best bet if you want a yellow foam yellow sally pattern. If you go with a big stimulator wrapping the body can work well. Just my thoughts. I also spent more than a year to try and tweak the neversink pattern by adding this or that and the original was always better
Old 08-01-2014, 09:08 AM

I tie & fish these every once in a while. They float pretty well, but you can't use a weighted dropper with them. I didn't think the fish liked them more than anything else.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I've used the Doculator from Orvis with the wrapped body http://www.orvis.com/p/the-doculator/09a2 and did not like the way it sits on the water. The neversink is your best bet if you want a yellow foam yellow sally pattern. If you go with a big stimulator wrapping the body can work well. Just my thoughts. I also spent more than a year to try and tweak the neversink pattern by adding this or that and the original was always better
Thanks Duckypaddler! I am always getting a little creative with the patterns and have thought about using a a red sharpy on the tail of a Neversink.

Quote:
I tie & fish these every once in a while. They float pretty well, but you can't use a weighted dropper with them. I didn't think the fish liked them more than anything else.
Thanks Grannyknot I will have to try this one out. Love learning new patterns and experimenting.

Oh by the way, A couple weeks ago Daniel Drake posted photos of Rob's Hellbender, from the photos I figured out how to tie them and tried them out last weekend. Nice fly! Floats well and works great with a dropper.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Thanks Duckypaddler! I am always getting a little creative with the patterns and have thought about using a a red sharpy on the tail of a Neversink.
Not a bad idea.... I know Jason used to make some neversinks with a little fluorescent orange or red at the end of the thread wraps just at the bend of the hook to get a similar effect and said it worked well. I have a couple and can post a pic later, but again I have to agree with ducky... the original seems to be the best. The only thing I really do different from the commercially made ones is wrap them with more hackle. (5-6+ wraps with two feathers vs 3-4 on commercial ones) They float higher, longer, and get more strikes/do better with a dropper in my opinion. But I'll buy the yellow ones from LRO when I don't feel like tying them and the purchased ones work well too.