Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-10-2014, 10:30 AM

UPDATE JULY 10, 2014:

The wheels of politics grind very slowly, other than the free shrimp and cocktails I find it hard to believe anyone would want to be in politics!

Here is yesterday's news below, basically they have agreed to end debate on the Bipartisan Bill 2014 and agreed to move forward to put it to a vote on the Senate Floor. My take, this is good, they only adjusted some wording on one of the other items attached to this bill, and it was not the one related to Trout stocking. If it is approved there than on to House of Representatives, no timeline for the vote yet. If you have not sent a email to your U. S. Senator for your support of the bill please do, it does not matter which state you live in your U.S. Senators will have a vote on this. I have attached the Tennessee Senator's email below the article for those who live here, if you live in another state just google for your U. S. Senator's email links. Thanks to all who are following and getting involved, it is a slow process but demands our attention and dilligence to acheive the funding we need for Trout Stocking. There are many issues in this country right now and the line for funding is long, we have to make our national, state and local leaders aware this is important to us and their economy in these tailwater areas.

BIPARTISAN SPORTSMENíS ACT
OF 2014
The PRESIDING OFFICER. Under
the previous order, the Senate will resume
consideration of the motion to
proceed to S. 2363, which the clerk will
report.
The bill clerk read the motion as follows:
Motion to proceed to Calendar No. 384, S.
2363, a bill to protect and enhance opportunities
for recreational hunting, fishing, and
shooting, and for other purposes.
The PRESIDING OFFICER. Under
the previous order, all postcloture time
is considered expired.
The question is on agreeing to the
motion to proceed.
The motion was agreed to.
The PRESIDING OFFICER. The
clerk will report the bill.
The legislative clerk read as follows:
A bill (S. 2363) to protect and enhance opportunities
for recreational hunting, fishing,

TENNESSEE U. S. SENATOR EMAIL LINKS:

Senator Lamar Alexander:

http://www.alexander.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=Email

Senator Bob Corker:

http://www.corker.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=ContactMe

I just sent the following comment to both Tennessee Senators, it takes just a minute, feel free to use or write your own response, i just copied and pasted into the comments section of each Senator's email link. Thanks!

Bipartisan Bill 2014

"Thanks for your continued support of the Bipartisan Bill 2014 coming to the Senate floor. I am a taxpayer, TVA ratepayer, Trout Unlimited member, outdoorsman; but most of all as a concerned citizen how fishing contributes to the economy of my area. Thanks for your yes vote! "

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Last edited by bigsur; 07-10-2014 at 10:49 AM..
Old 07-10-2014, 12:45 PM

Big thanks to Scientific Anglers for helping spread the word!!! Please remember them in your choice of flylines next time you purchase one for a tailwater in TN!

Subject: Re: From MetroPulse: Trout Limited? The Stocking of Trout in the Tailwaters of TVA Dams Faces a Looming Budget Crisis

http://www.metropulse.com/news/2014/...rs-tva-dams-f/

Philó Iím going to link to this article on the Scientific Anglers Facebook page later this afternoon. Iíll do what I can to get the word out on my end.

-JVV
--
John Van Vleet
Marketing Manager
Scientific Anglers
Old 07-10-2014, 04:20 PM

Based on news comments by the bill's sponsor, it looks like the bill did not move forward in the Senate. I,m still trying to confirm this. Hope I am wrong.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:01 PM

UPDATE JULY 10, 2014 5PM

This was just released three hours ago in Jacksonville NC paper regarding the BiPartisan Sportsman bill, looks like temporary setback, to be expected; this bill has 13 amendments attached to it, wheels can fall off or grind slow as I have mentioned in past posts. The bill has amendments ranging from lead bullets, interstate transportation of guns and even the movement into the US of polar bear claws and fur, etc killed in Canada before they were declared endangered in 2008! This is even more the reason to continue pressure on US Senators (no matter what party); in your respective state, this is a possible solution but not the only one as we have stressed all along with other options available such as the TVA Proposal Number 4 which was the one endorsed by not just me but Trout Unlimited and others. This is just part of a process when you are trying to change the course of politics, the trick is to stay the course and not give up, sometimes easier said than done! Thanks to Scientfic Anglers (and Flat Flyn for the help) for joining the cause and posting the Metro Pulse story link on their facebook page, they have 27,000 folks that follow their facebook!

Published: Thursday, July 10, 2014 at 12:50 PM.

Washington, DC – U.S. Senator Kay Hagan (NC) released the following statement after today’s cloture vote on the Bipartisan Sportsmen’s Act of 2014, which she introduced with Republican Senator Lisa Murkwosk (AK):
“I worked with Senator Murkowski to craft a package of bills that would garner strong support within the Senate in addition to a wide range of stakeholders, and the fact that this bill is cosponsored by 44 other Senators from both parties speaks to the overwhelming support for the policies in the Bipartisan Sportsmen’s Act of 2014. I believe the Senate should have considered sportsmen-related amendments, including those dealing with gun issues important to sportsmen and women, and I am disappointed that politics prevented us from reaching an agreement this week. However, I will continue working with Senator Murkowski and my colleagues to find a path forward so that this bill that benefits hunters, anglers and outdoor enthusiasts in North Carolina and across the nation doesn’t fall victim to political posturing."

Here is a link to Senator Kay Hagens official email link, you do not have to be from the home state of a Senator to contact them. I sent her an attaboy and let her know we are following her work on this bill she sponosred.

http://www.hagan.senate.gov/contact/

Sometimes we all need a shot of encouragement, let her know you appreciate her work!

Last edited by bigsur; 07-10-2014 at 05:46 PM..
Old 08-06-2014, 06:03 PM

WBIR, NBC Knoxville affiliate, just ran a short leadoff story on 6pm news nothing new on the funding solution, howwever it is keeping the issue in the news. John Becker the anchor is a fly guy and my exchanges with him are limited in number but I feel he is concerned and will help. Hats off to him!

Old 08-07-2014, 09:57 AM

Here's the link: http://www.wbir.com/story/money/2014...line/13691193/

steve
Old 10-22-2014, 09:04 PM

UPDATE:OCTOBER 22, 2014

As members of TU, we received an update to the TVA Trout stocking issue, I have copied an excerpt below of that communication. The basic message is the second year funding of the three year reprieve Sen. Lamar Alexander helped push thru a couple years back is being approved and we are awaiting the TVA report in November for the long term funding that is in jeopardy. Let's hope the hard work, comments and news stories give us the desired result and a permanent solution.

Quoted excerpt below from:

Travis Hill Henry, Certified Wildlife Biologist®
Tennessee Valley Authority
Senior Program Manager, Natural Resources Policy
Environmental Policy and Regulatory Affairs

"Oct. 17, 2014
Good Afternoon:

I wanted to provide you with a brief update on Federal Trout Hatchery Funding. TVA just approved the second of three payments for hatchery funding. As per the MOA, these funds will be provided to the USFWS for dispersal.

We’ve also completed a review of all public comments received during and after the Federal Trout Hatchery Funding public meeting. Please share the thanks of our respective agencies with your colleagues for the many thoughtful comments provided.

We will hold an Executive Steering Committee in November to discuss long-term funding recommendations, public comments, and our path forward; I’m confident we will find a viable solution. I’ll provide you with an update after the meeting and keep you informed as we proceed. "

Old 10-22-2014, 10:16 PM

I had a face to face discussion with Senator Alexander today on this subject. He is hopeful this issue will be resolved favorably for the continuation of the trout stocking program, and he is monitoring the issue .
Old Yesterday, 12:23 AM

TVA should not have been able to cut and run after blocking migration routes for all native species of game fish. They helped create the environment where constant stocking is a requirement for the survival of native species.

With future cuts in mind I hope to see cuts in funding for non native striper stocking completely. Also, I would like the use of trout as live/cut bait made illegal as many Musky and Striper fisherman do.