Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 02-16-2006, 05:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to 3flies
Default Fishing the jetties in Destin FL

A couple of years ago I landed a 4ft. Redfish on spinning gear. What fly would it take to do the same with a fly rod. It was caught at about one oclock a.m. in October. I believe they may have been spawning but could be wrong.

Everybody else that was fishing had to stop and some came to help me land it. When hooked it turned for open ocean and when I saw the bottom of the spool I had to tighten drag and hope everything held. Finally it stopped but was so heavy that it was still a job bringing it in. It came to my chin and it's tail was on the ground. I am 5'7".
Old 02-16-2006, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Fishing the jetties in Destin FL

3Flies,

What were you using with your spinning rod? Bait? Plugs? If you were using a plug then I know of a good fly for you. It's called a Todd's Wiggle Minnow designed by Todd Boyer. They are great flies and you can fish them on floating or sinking lines. They're like little jerk/crank baits for flyrods. Let me know and I'll get a sample to you!
Old 02-16-2006, 08:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to 3flies
Default Re: Fishing the jetties in Destin FL

RF,
I was using bait fish that I had caught in the evening that same day. I would like to try the fly you suggested. Do you have a pic or recipe? You may e-mail me if you wish.
3flies