Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-02-2006, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Keep or Release????

I enjoy the taste of trout. Therefore I will keep some. I practice catch and release 99% of the time. But I have been known to keep a few and take them home to smoke them. Or if I am out camping or backpacking I will keep a couple then. I have released all trophy size fish I have caught, and I don't eat Browns.

I think catching of trout, cleaning of trout and knowing how to prepare trout can be good life lessons. A survival skill if you will. it is also a good reminder how we are all part of a large food chain in this world.

In the end, it is all about personal preference.

As far as bacteria and acidity of water. Who knows. Where does the water come from that your farm raised trout live in? Most hatcheries I have seen are off chutes and use the same stream water of a near by creek. They say not to eat a lot of fish out of our lakes. But I have known old timers that have been eating catfish and other critters all of their lives out of those lakes and rivers. They are in better shape than a lot of people whom supposedly eat a more healthy diet.

I will eat a wild trout over a store stocker any day. The meat is better overall. Looks better, has a better consistency, and is pink. A trout that has been fed trout chow all of its life tastes like trout chow, to me.

Petey 8-)
Old 02-02-2006, 04:40 PM

Several years ago my young son and I were on trip to the Park before school started. I had kept several fish for a dinner and my son who was mostly spinner fishing at that time wanted to fish Gatlinburg for some of thos "big" fish. Well, he got one that was at least 12 inches long and of course he wanted to eat his fish that night. Good opportunity to teach him how to handle, clean and cook a fish. Upon cleaning the stocker I was shocked...the flesh was noticeably softer and the organs were milking and opaque compared to the wild fish's firm pink flesh and clear organs. He was happy to eat his fish but not me....now he looks at the pond raised trout in the cooler at the store and turns up his nose at them. As with any fish the younger, smaller fish seem to eat better than the larger ones. I have been sampling the trout from the Park waters almost yearly for the last 50 years and cannot tell any difference in taste. I now consider such fare a rare treat and always place the hogs back into the gene pool. More than the acid rain affecting the water is the pollution from carless hikers/campers and feral pigs. Gone are the days when I used to fish with my grandfather and remember following his lead and dipping a collapsible cup into wherever we were fishing to take a cool drink of stream water and comtemplate our next presentation.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:16 PM

Good conversation so far. What do you all think about the future for our sport considering the debate that is now going on in Europe about C/R?

Secondly, I too feel that the mountain fish would be healthier to eat than most of the foods found in the grocery store. Most of our food in the grocery store is full of chemicals and hormones, and all kinds of pollutants and pests. Also, red meat is about the worst we can eat. Sorry got to go, I craving a burger

Seriously, Interesting topic although complicated philosophically.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:40 AM

Catch and release most of the time. Occasionally keep a couple for eating. Most of the time when I C&R I don't even touch the fish or bring it out of the water, unless it's bigger than average. I use a barbless hook so all I do is use my forceps to grab the hook shank and twist it out of the mouth. The hook comes right out and most of the time the fish just stays in the same spot until I "shoo" it away!

Chris

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 02-16-2006, 08:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to 3flies

I usually C/R but,if a fish looks like it won't survive I will keep it for the table. If I am hungry for trout I will keep some of the smaller ones for eating. Usually about three 8-12 inchers are enough for me! I would guess that I eat about 10 percent of the fish I catch. I do the same when I am fishing the lakes in East TN.