Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 02-15-2006, 02:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to 3flies
Default Re: Beginner Fly Tying

The best you can do is get to some lessons. Even with a good book or internet you can't watch a fly being tied and that is the real learning. After a few lessons you will be able to tie any thing you see or dream up.

Three flies to learn for the Park are:

Thunderhead dry fly taught by Walter

Georges Nymph Fish these two together and you won't have a fishless day.

This one is a variation of the Wooly Bugger No. 12 standard hook, olive green Maribou tail twice as long as shank, 6-7 wraps of lead wire. olive green dubbing, finished with two pieces of crystal flash on each side and out into the tail. Give it a good thread head. This fly is deadly on bass and blue gill, and sometimes produces on tail waters
Old 02-15-2006, 02:11 PM

I recently started fly tying a couple of months ago, I got a kit for Christmas and then bought the Orvis fly tying guide. *What do yall think about that book? *Seems to be a little expensive but helpful. *I have been fishing for less than two years so I am not sure on what to simulate as far as insects go just yet. *However I did take an entemology class that has helped a lot.(easy A)

I am trying to tie some flies for our spring break trip and being a college student with limited funds I find I am substituting the best I can. *My question on this is how closely should I make my flies resemble others I see online and in the book? *Can I get away with using different materials for different flies? *Such as for my BWO's all I have is light blue dun hackle. *Is that something I should shell out the cash to buy a different shade of blue, and if so what color should I purchase? *For my Prince nymphs I have been substituting parts of the turkey feathers off of a turkey I shot last year, (cheaper that way.) *I think it looks pretty close, however will that be something that is durable enough to fish with? *Also I don't have any wood duck flank, how important is that or is there something I can sub instead on flies like my hendricksons?

We are planning on spending a few days at the end of March around Cades Cove on Abrams and up towards Tremont, then heading up to the S. Toe river towards Burnsville. *I have been tying *Prince and Pheasant tail, nymphs, * Some thunderheads, midges, parachute BWO's, female and parachute Adams, and tan caddis flies(someone showed I can substitute tan foam for elk hair) *Tied a couple of pink henricksons and a not so good attempt at some quill gordons. *If yall have any suggestions on something else I should look into tying I would appreciate it greatly. *

There aren't really any fly shops around Auburn, AL. to get tips from, so any help would be appreciated grealty.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:25 PM

You may want to think about how a trout sees the surface. It wouldn't hurt to get under water and let someone float some flies your way!! As the fish looks up at the surface and depending how deep he is , only has a limited view of the surface. If the fish sees a bugs feet dimpling the surface along with it's tail and some sort of wings they will eat if hungry. I guess that color has a little to do with it but size and shape make the most difference.

More important than the fly is how you fish it. Learn to read the water and get to the point where you can cast forwards, backwards, and to either side.
Presentation is more important than the fly. You may be pleasantly suprised at what a fish will eat if it comes to them as a natural.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:27 AM

Robinma,
I can sympathize with your financial situation. *I started tying when I was still in college and broke. *I did a lot of substituting with my flies, mostly with stuff I got hunting or could buy from Walmart. *Surprisingly, most of it worked out. *I actually think substituting materials is a good idea as you're being forced to innovate, and who knows, you might come up with something that works better than the original. *Eventually, if you stick with it, you will come to have a good collection of the needed materials and can tie your flies by the recipes. *Until then, I say keep doing what you're doing. *Not sure what materials you have, but you can use deer hair or poly yarn or turkey flats for the wing on hendrickson's. *Check out this article for a few ideas: http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/tljswings/. *Matching the color perfectly on wings isn't a big concern, or doesn't seem so to me. *To be perfectly honest, you could probably get away without the wings at all, just hackle. *I use light blue dun on my BWOs and it works well. *Sounds like you're doing well. *You can always pick up a few flies from LRO to fill out your box for your trip, and make sure to get a few new materials. *Like 3flies said, it's more important to fish the flies you have well. *I think it would probably be difficult for you to tie a flie that won't catch a fish at some point. *My brother whipped me last fall on a North Carolina stream with a parachute Adams that looked like a big wad of fur. *I figure he was imitating a chewing gum emerger with that thing. *He is new to tying as well.

hawgdaddy
Old 02-16-2006, 01:39 PM

3flies, good point, I never considered that while I was tying the flies but I guess it really is all about how the fish sees the fly and not so much as how I see it. *

Hawgdaddy, that makes me feel better that my flies might catch some fish. *I had a big section of deer hair I cut off a doe I shot this season, but my dog ate the whole thing. *Now that season is over I am substituting his hair for my deer hair he ate. *Maybe a cold winter will teach him to stay out of my fly tying stuff.

Thanks for the feedback yall.

Matt
Old 02-20-2006, 09:59 AM

About the dog hair. Remember deer hair is hollow that is why it works on certain patterns. Dog hair is not. Plus what if you tie a fly that someone wants to market? You will have to raise a lot of dogs and sale peices of hide!!!HaHa

Eddie