Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-19-2006, 06:42 PM

Default Fly Line for my needs

Help with selecting the correct fly line.

I have a St-Croix Imperial moderate action rod 7'6".
I use RIO WF4 floating line.

The line does not load the rod good enough to cast small streams.

What I need to know is what line options are there.

I have looked at SA Mastery Trout DT4, SA Mastery TRout WF4, SA Mastery Head Start 4 [lines].

I am an *intermediate fly fisherman and have been wild trout fishing for 32 Years. I picked up Fly fishing 15 years ago and do nothing but fly fish for trout.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
landonh
Old 02-19-2006, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Fly Line for my needs

I have a longer Imperial 9 ft 4 wt. It is in my opinion a very soft slow action rod and needs a line size up from what the rod says. If you use WF I guess it might load a little better than DT. I alos realize that different line manufacturers have slightly different tapers. I use an Airflo Rivers & Stream WF on my rod.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:06 PM

ROYAL WULFF MAKES A TRIANGLE TAPER THAT WILL HELP ON THE SHORT SMALL STREAM TYPE CAST. YOU MAY ALSO TRY IT IN A 5WT.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:39 PM

I have one of the Orvis Superfine rods that is a slower action rod. I put a SA Mastery Trout WF line on it and have no complaints at all. Scientific Anglers make some great lines in my opinion.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-20-2006, 09:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to 3flies

I use a 7ft #4 Penn rod most of the time. It is a fast action rod. I had the same problem especially when trying to cast a short line with a long leader which is a must in a lot of situations in the park. I stayed with a DT but moved up to a #5 line. Never had a problem since.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:42 PM

I have talked to some folks that go up a line size. Use a 6wt line on a 5wt rod in an attempt to get better contol. Are there certian rules of thumb that should be followed here. Can you go up to much, or is there a line wt / rod combo where it not recommened. Any guidline here.

By the way I have used the Triangle Tamper mentioned above and it is pretty sweet. Far better then any thing else I have used it tight situations. Roll casts great.

Old 02-20-2006, 02:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to 3flies

It probably depends on the application. If you are going to be making really long casts a W/F line would work. I use a #5 on tailwaters on a #5 rod. I use my #4 7ft rod in the park and on warm streams.It has a D/T #5 on it. With a med action you shouldn't need to go much above one weight. With a stiff action where the tip is casting the line you might be able to get away with 2 sizes up for short casts. It is a balancing act and depends a lot on the person using the rod. I havn't met very many people that like casting with my 7ft rod but I can make 30-40ft casts if need be. If you are close to LRO you could try some of their reels with different size lines on it. They usually have several around for folks to try out.
How long have you had the rod? Is it your first rod? You may like a stiffer action. The good thing about LRO you can try before you buy.