Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 02-24-2006, 09:08 AM

Default Best Gear setup for the GSMNP

Tackel and Gear, this is a great category. I could hang out all hear all day but my wifes calling, so I have to keep it short for now. Im currently using a Orvis Trout Bum with Triangle taper line (4wt) . To that I tie a 7-1/2 foot leader. My inablity to catch fish my have nothing to to with my equipment.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2006, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Best Gear setup for the GSMNP

Good morning Woody, the best sized outfit that I have found is an 8-1/2 ft. 4 wt. rod and the Triangle Taper weight forward line is fine, as well as SA mastery Fast Taper line. I usually use just a little bit more leader when I'm nymphing but that will depend on the length of the rod that you are using. There is a lot of latitude in this area and many other sizes will work fine. If you go over a 5wt. it may be overkill in the Park. 3wts. are fine but they may limit you a litttle on bigger water. They also cause a few problems with mending on larger water. Overall, I'd say your about in the middle of the spectrum. The biggest factor is being correct with your casting and mending skills. Be sure that you have those down pat and practice them in the yard or somewhere in the open every chance you get. Good fishing to you this Spring.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.