Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-27-2006, 09:40 AM

Default Fishing This Weekend- suggestions

Finally! I'm headed towards the Park and will have a chance to fish this weekend. I'm attending the Carson Newman football clinic and will be staying in Pigeon Forge at some Holiday Inn (no I'm not a fishing guide, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night*grin*). What will be the closest trout water to me- going through Townsend to get over towards the "Y" and fish or should I go back through Gatlinburg and try to get to Little River or the Pigeon River. I'll be limited on my time and want to make it count!!! I figured the lower elevation streams might do better with the temperature.

I may drag the wife up there late Thursday night and stay somewhere cheap towards Townsend if someone has a cheap hotel suggestion. My favorite it the "Golden Eagle" over in Cherokee but we won't be coming in from that direction. That would give me the opportunity to fish a good bit on Friday.

Also, any fly suggestions? I'll tie up a few but I always need an excuse to go by Little River Outfitters or Old Smoky Outfitters in Gatlinburg.

Thanks for the help-
Hollis
Old 02-27-2006, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Fishing This Weekend- suggestions

The fastest would be the Pigeon above the Park headquarters...take the bypass around Gburg and head up to the Huskey Gap parking area...short walk to the river and you can then walk up or down to start fishing.....flies will all depend on the water level and temps....if water is up might want to try fishing Jakes Creek from where it enters the Elkmont Campgroung....best bet would be to take the number for LRO and call them the afternoon before you're ready to fish.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:35 PM

Hollis,
What kind of fishing do you want to do? Does it matter if they are wild or stocked? Let me know what you have in mind in a PM and I'll give you a few suggestions that are close to PF. If you are thinking about staying in Townsend, I know of a good hotel for you.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to 3flies

Greenbriar is a good place to fish. Just go east from Gatlinburg on the main street of Gatlinburg. Everything from stocked right outside the park, then Bows, then if you go high enough, Specs.