Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-26-2006, 02:42 PM

Default fishing in the smokies

Being new to the area, and new to flyfishing, where would y'all recommend a newbie try his luck initially in the park? I have heard some horror stories about fishing Abrams Creek as well as that Abrams Creek holds some good fishing. Given that I am apparently not experienced enough to wade this stretch of water, where would you recommed a newbie to cut his teeth and still have some chance at catching something?
Old 02-26-2006, 03:41 PM

Default Re: fishing in the smokies

Caddis fly,

If you are new to fly fishing, I would highly recommend hiring a guide. LRO has some really good guides that can help you learn where the fish are and how to catch them. The Smokies are not the easiest place to learn this great sport as far as catching a lot of fish. There are plenty of fish but it takes experience to catch them. If you can catch fish in the Smokies, then you can probably catch fish just about anywhere. That said, if you really want to go on your own, once the weather warms up try hiking away from the roads. Upper Little River comes to mind here as a good option. Generally, the farther you hike, the better the fishing. Get a park map and start exploring. The spring hatches are about to start which means that all the streams should be fishing well soon. This is THE time to catch fish on dries in the park during a good hatch. The Middle Prong of Little River at Tremont is another good spot. Drive up the gravel road aways and find some good water and start fishing. Stopping by LRO would be a good idea also. I am mostly self-taught and they always were very friendly and helpful and gave me great advice.

David
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-27-2006, 06:17 PM

You can start with West Prong of Little River and up on into Laurel Creek. They are not the highest quality fishing streams but they are easily acessed from the road and before the tourist crowds arrives you should be able to catch a few.

Another spot would be West Prong of Little P but it might not be the best for a beginner. Good Luck. Remember stay low and use drab colored clothing and minimize false casting, rather dab the fly with just the leader on the water and make sure you are getting a drag free drift. Lastly, use a fly you can see in the rough water. I am amazed on how many fish are lost because the fisherman didn't notice the strike due to not seeing the fly. Remember it is better to see the fly and have a drag free drift than exactly imitate the hatch and not see the fly. This advice is for mountain streams. Low lying areas and Tailwater are a whole other ballgame. Hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:56 AM

caddis_fly
My first fly fishing experience outside a of stocked state park was on the Abrams. I read about it as one of my fishing books as being one of the best trout streams. I drove a thousand miles, talked to LRO, drove to the Abrams parking lot. I put on my hiking boots, packed my fishing equipment, broke down my flyrod and started walking. I walked in to Abrams Fall and fished below the pool. I was the only person on the stream and caught some nice trout. I felt proud of myself for doing the research and preperation for my first real fishing trip. There are areas more difficult to fish on the Abrams. Take the challenge, do your research and talk to the good people at LRO.
I live in Missouri and wish I were there.